Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Which one is grammatically correct, “you had been to a lot of places” or “you have been to a lot of places”?

• RP

Either could be, depending upon context.

As far as I know they are both correct. Which one should you pick is going to depend on the time reference. As in

- hey do you remember the day when you fell asleep in the middle of the shopping mall? Lol I guess you were just too tired because you had been to a lot of places that day!Or in:- are you telling me that you've travelled all across Canada? Damn you probably have been to a lot of places!In the first sentence the event (sleeping in the mall) happened before some other event (been to many places) whereas in the second it is different.

Both are. The former properly employs the pluperfect tense and the latter the present perfect tense. Which one you would use would depend on context and what you're meaning to convey.