Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Can you "lock" a car cover onto your car?

If you don't want someone screwing with your car when you aren't around, can using a cable/lock on the car cover help? If you lock the car cover, does it prevent it from being removed with the key (or without cutting around it)? Long story short, my car is going to be home but I am not (going with someone somewhere). I do NOT want a certain person who is too nosy for their own good messing with or peeking into my car.

I know with a traditional car cover, you could easily take it off and put it back on. So can I get a lock for it that will keep the car cover ON my car and prevent it from being removed?

I also would like this for added protection in general.

If you have any other tips on how to keep annoying, nosy or troublemaking individuals from staring into your car or otherwise messing with it, please share!

Thanks so much!

But my point is, you would know if someone peeked in because they would have to cut it, right?

Literally never mentioned it being cut-proof. I don't know why people made that such a thing. I'm aware if a THEIF wanted it bad enough, they could easily cut it and go. This was in reference to if you had an annoying person coming to visit and didn't want them pawing all over your cars/windows. I just wanted to lock it down so they couldn't mess with it. It has nothing to do with my car being stolen...

• Jay P
    Favorite Answer

Some car covers come with holes on the bottom that you can either use cables or rope to tie down or lock the cover in place.

Of course someone can easily cut the rope or cut around the holes in the cover to peek under, or steal the cover...

• Edna

A "car cover" is a canvas cover  that you place  over your car in order to protect it from the elements. The cover is  usually held in place with something like Bungee cords, There's no sort of special locking device  that will prevent someone from cutting the cover off your car and stealing your car.

They could buy another cover, identical to the first one, and put the new one on the car, so that you wouldn't know they cut the old one.  But they wouldn't be able to get your lock onto the new one.  You'd notice the lock was missing.  Or they'd buy another lock too, but then you would notice that your key or combination was not working the next time you tried to open it.

• Scott

A car cover is only meant to protect your vehicle from the elements. It is not secure - anyone with a knife can remove it, even if "locked" to your car.

Sure you can get car covers that have a cable lock.  And as Jay P states, the cable/rope can be cut.  And sure you'll know that someone has tampered with it.  But what if they break in and steal stuff or damage your car?  It won't protect against that.  And you won't know who did it. 

I'm not saying don't get one or don't use one.  Just know that there are limits of protection.  You'll need to decide what is worth it and what isn't.

• CB

cut cardboard to fit your windows and tape them in place (or newspaper) INSIDE of the vehicle of course.

• Erik

I'm sure they sell them that way.  Might be easier to just put whatever you don't want people looking at in the trunk.