Nous
Nous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 month ago

Almost 25 and not achieving ideal growth in my Journalism job, what can I do differently? ?

I have been working for a media company as a sports reporter for the past year. I am mainly used as a writer in the smaller papers despite my work getting positive reviews in general from peers and editors. I understand that the company which I work for is not doing well, reducing hires and also that my chances of growth within it are very small as there are guys older than me who will not be retiring or leaving anytime soon.

Whilst I know that I am fortunate to have a job during these tough times, it is very frustrating knowing that there is little to no chance of growth within the company that I work with.

I regularly apply for jobs and contact editors from other publications to ask them if they can advise me if their companies have anything available and do not hear anything. I have almost 3000 contacts on LinkedIn and have almost definitely sent over a thousand emails and messages over the past three years.

I regularly post content on my LinkedIn profile, have put effort into making it look good, and yet it seems, that things are not working out.

You are trained for a job in which employment opportunities are actually declining.  I suggest as former U.S. president Truman once advised:  When you can't do exactly what you want, figure out what's the next-best thing & do that.  You never know how far that may take you.     

"smejay":  THAT'S the best advice you can give?  Was your Ph.D. for Penis Head Delighting?    

You need to find out who the owner is and suck them off...

Try learning english.

Journalism is on the decline in a big way, move to a new sector or consider working in another country with a growing economy.