Do you disagree with this Bible verse... Yes/No?

Ecclesiastes 9:11 I saw something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; neither is the bread to the wise, nor the wealth to the intelligent, nor the favor to the skillful; rather, time and chance happen to all.

I heard this in the Alfred Hitchcock hour.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Pretty much. You look at sports/games and so much effort is spent in trying to discount luck in it. We strive for an ideal game where players are even no one can cheat or take a drug or get into the position by nepotism. This struggle suggests that we are fighting something that occurs naturally.

On a more sciency note anyone who studies evolution will fully admit that chance is a massive factor. Evolution doesnt give you the perfect answer it gives you an answer.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is an interesting verse, and like all philosophical statements it can apply in some situations and not others.

• Romantically, of course I would agree but life does not seem to work that way. If you miss your chance, or if you are in some way held back...life just does not pan out that way, wish it did and it does for a very minute few...alas, but not for all. 

• Evelyn
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

By now, I think we can all agree with the "nor wealth to the intelligent" part.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That is a true statement. On any given day, anyone can win.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes I do, as I believe all of God's Word.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  

• Den B7
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I do indeed.                  

• 1 month ago

History has shown time and again that this is not true. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.