Why do I get a red frame in my viewfinder when I’m taking macro photos with my Canon M50 Camera?

Looks like this and it won’t let me take photos, I have to wait for a while before I can take more photos :/ please help

• keerok

You're too close? You can confirm by checking the manual. See minimum focusing distance.

• Sumi

It could be that the camera is showing you a frame for compositional purposes.  What does the frame look like?  If it's similar to a tic-tac-toe frame, then this is a overlay showing you a frame designed around the Rule of Thirds.

Red frames in the viewfinder are most likely not for composition, but instead they're vertical red rectangles that are showing you the focusing point of the camera.  In the event that the camera determines that the lens is not in focus, these red frames will blink or the AF indicator at the bottom of the viewfinder will blink.  Either way, any blinking of lights is the camera's way of telling you that something is wrong.

It is likely, therefore, that the camera has detected that the lens is not properly focused.  Put the lens in manual focus and see if the problem stops.  Or, put the camera into AF servo.  When in single focus, the camera will not take a shot if it detects that the lens is not in focus.  But when in AF servo, the camera always take a photo the moment the shutter button is depressed.

• Andrew

The manual will tell you what it is, and how to deal with it.

I strongly recommend that you read it.

All lenses have some minimum focus distance. 

You are trying to take pix closer than that. 

Back off just enough that it will work. 

An orange frame means the lens is unable to focus - could that be the problem?