Anonymous

Is it bad idea, to get a second bachelors degree?

I want to switch a career, and I hate my current degree.

Hardly, and it will give you a leg up on your resume.  It attests to your well-rounded abilities, superior curiosity, and the ability to stick with something difficult to completion, twice. 

Yes, If want to switch career other professional than need to second bachelors degree.

it appears you are facing a problem of plenty.

No, many people do that. 

But make sure to know what classes are required - Much of the reason why my degree is

taking forever to complete is because of clueless advisers, and even department chairs.

Not necessarily, but you need to figure out exactly what skills and knowledge you need, and the best way to get them.  Don't just assume a second Bachelors will be helpful.  As Gypsyfish noted, you may be much better off getting a master's degree (which will take about the same amount of time as getting a second bachelors (2-3 years).  In both cases, you may need to take a couple of introductory/lower level classes in order to get into the program.

You may also find that you just need knowledge and skills rather than any other degree.  More and more companies are acknowledging that they are looking for ability rather than a specific major. Of course, if you want to be an engineer and you have zero background, the best way to get the skills is going to be a degree program.

In many cases, it would make more sense to get a master's degree. Depending on the area you want to study, you may not need to have an undergraduate degree in that subject, or there may be a few prerequisite classes what you would have to take before starting the graduate courses. If you told us what you degree is in and what you want to study, we could be of more help. 

• Nancy

I have a double bachelor's degree. Getting a second bachelor's isn't like getting your first. To get your second, there are no gen-eds and you only have to do the undergrad coursework to complete a second major and a second minor. A major is generally 30 hours and a minor is generally 20 hours, but that includes coursework you've already done that will go towards them.

Me, for example, the reason I got a double bachelor's is I got a bachelor's of business administration degree in management, which includes a general business minor. Also, when I got into college, I tested out of all but one class of a minor in Spanish, so because I enjoy Spanish, I went ahead and got a major in it. That left me with a BBA with a double major in management and Spanish and a general business minor. In completing my business degree coursework, though, I had taken enough economics courses that I was only two classes away from a minor in economics, so since having a degree is economics is generally seen as quite impressive by employers, I went ahead and took those two classes. Consequently, I have a double bachelor's degree, which is two majors and two minors.

The point of that example is to, one, demonstrate that you might consider a second major instead of going with a double bachelor's and, two, demonstrate that there might not be that much more coursework for you to do to get a double bachelor's, especially if you choose a major and a minor that builds on prior courses you took as electives, like if you, for example, took Biology 100 to meet a gen-ed requirement because you did really well in bio in high school and thought it would be easy, later took calculus to get the degree your currently have, and then took Ecology 300 to meet your 300-level gen-ed requirement because it was the only one available or was the least unpleasant sounding one or something, you could find that you're already halfway to a minor in biology and a third of the way to a major, meaning you could potentially complete the minor with just 3 or 4 more courses, which is the equivalent of just one part- to full-time semester.