Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Why can’t you see living people on other people’s family trees on AncestryDNA?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

For privacy reasons obviously.

• 1 month ago

Privacy reasons.  And to prevent identity theft.

• 1 month ago

I can. Oh........ I can, mate. I don't want to, believe me, but I can see them. All the time. Just watching me. They're sitting there............ <whisper> "I.... can.... see.... living people!!!".....

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That kind of thing probably now falls foul of GDPR legislation. You certainly used to be able to see living descendants, but publishing their dates of birth etc does pose a security risk.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because living people have privacy rights and that website would be in breach of the laws if they allowed public to see details about them

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Ancestry site respects privacy considerations, some of them dictated by law, such as when census data becomes open to the public.

Living people have the right not to have their genealogy, including their DNA, made public.

• 1 month ago

You do know it's not really a tree with houses that people live on right? I'm a here and now guy so I don't have much use for this, BUT a couple weeks ago I watched a show called "Genetic Detective". I gotta tell you, it's interesting as all hell.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't have AncestryDNA, but perhaps there are limitations for privacy purposes, or maybe they just want you to pay a subscription fee.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.