Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

What do I do when my sister dies since we are estranged and have no feelings for one another?

How do I act? Do I go to the service? I don't know her husband and kids very much at all but don't want to look bad to my cousins and other siblings.

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

If you are not in town, send flowers.  If you live locally, it's a tougher call.  If you value your other siblings and cousins you should probably go as a comfort to them.  Be pleasant, say nothing bad because that would be wrong. Say little good, because that would be hypocritical.  Make the visit brief and polite. 

If there's a wake, show up for a brief time.  It's your choice if you want to go to the funeral.

So your sister is dying and you don't really care.  However, you DO care what other people think of you.  How about being honest for a change.  If you hate her guts and couldn't care less that she's dying and you don't want to make up with her - don't go to the funeral like a hypocrite and cry crocodile tears.  If what she did to you was so awful and unforgiveable you have nothing much to lose.  Your family know you are estranged and if it were you who was dying, would you REALLY want this hated sister to come to your funeral and pretend everything was fine?  I doubt it.  Tell your parents you aren't going to her funeral. They will be upset for losing their daughter. 

• A

Not looking bad in front of cousins and siblings is a poor reason to make a decision.  I would guess you both already look bad for being estranged and not knowing each other's children.   Maybe you will die first and she will have that decision to make.  you could decided to put aside your issues and get to know the kids

• audrey

If your parents are alive, go and act civil for their sake. Otherwise, skip it if you want.