Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

I'm going to ask one more time, why do people find it insulting that certain ones who don't have mental illnesses wish they had one?

• sarah
    Favorite Answer

no onne wants to have a mental illness.

People find it insulting that you posted that non religious question in R & S.

Hmmmmm. Interesting question. I think probably because so many mentally ill people lead really difficult, lonely lives, as a direct result of their mental illness! And then people romanticizing it, and idealizing it, and misrepresenting it, and turning it into some chibi "uwu" thing? And maybe even just straight up faking it, and LYING about having <insert mental disorder here>? Can be pretty darn infuriating! I know I'd also feel very angry if people lied about it, or deliberately misrepresented it.

Anyway... If someone is NOT ignorant as to what it is? And they fully accept that many people with the condition in question do NOT want it, and did NOT ask for it, and would love to be rid of it if they could? And they still say: "well, I wish I had it, for such and such reasons"? Then.. okay. I personally don't think that is inherently offensive. And I would not get upset if people said that about stuff I struggle with. Just a pity that people can't more easily swap these things, 'eh? And also swap sexual identities, and bodies, and maybe gender identities. That could be very useful. Like: "you want to be a schizophrenic lesbian? And I just want to be a neurotypical straight person? Okay, awesome! Let's swap. Here you go." :-P