Why wasnt I allowed to vote?

I registered as independent, and the lady said I couldnt vote cuz I didnt choose a party. Is this true or was this a democrat ploy to prevent me from voting? I live in new mexico

Because it was the primary election, which is when each party votes on who should be the candidate from that party.  Since you don't have a party, you can't vote on who should be the candidate from your party.

You can still vote in the main election in November.

• Clive

Because it's a primary.  New Mexico has closed primaries, so to be able to vote at all, you have to be registered to support a party and then you can only vote in that party's primary.  This is the state's rules and you seem to be somewhat paranoid in thinking it has anything to do with Democrats.  The lady was perfectly correct.  Why would you think she lied to you?  If you don't trust state employees, why were you even trying to vote?

YOU prevented YOURSELF from being able to vote because you didn't understand how primaries work in your state.  In November, of course this doesn't apply as it's an election between everyone chosen to stand from all parties, now the primaries have chosen them.

• Tmess2

New Mexico is one of a dozen or so states that have a closed primary.  A closed primary is a party election in which only members of the party may vote.

So, if there were no non-partisan issues to be voted on the ballot, then there would be no ballot for an independent to cast and only members of established parties would have a ballot that they could cast.

• A

to vote in a primary you have to declare a party that has candidates vying for the job

What election were you trying to vote in?