What do white collar workers actually do?

I understand the work of a doctor. I understand what engineers do. I understand what nurses, pilots and lab technicians do. I know how tradesmen like plumbers and carpenters add value to the society.

But what are white collar workers? What are they? What education do they hold? What are their duties? I know that white collar worker is a very common profession in US.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

White collar is a general term for jobs that require education and thinking and generally don't involve much manual labor.  Engineers, doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, etc., are all examples.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

'white collar worker' is a a grouping, not a profession - used to mean people who dressed up to go to work.

• Office workers; think lawyers, doctors, accountants, people in financial services/banking.

• 1 month ago

White collar isn't a profession.  It is a vague way of categorizing people who do office work.  These people could be bankers, lawyers, engineers, accountants, consultants, analysts, programmers, sales representatives, administrators, managers, marketers, writers, or appraisers. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • White collar workers usually work in office settings, they do things like government, academia, accountancy, business and executive management, management consulting, customer support, market research, finance, human resources, operations research, marketing, information technology, networking, attorneys, medical professionals, architects, research and development and contracting. . 

Blue collar workers are more a labor type job. They do things like sanitation runners,  truck offsiders, sanitation & garbage truck drivers, road maintenance workers, 

pipe layers & drainers , car parking attendants,traffic control attendants, cashiers, 

administration & support staff , street & event cleaners and factory workers

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They work in businesses, the term means people who don't get their hands dirty in jobs, they wear white shirts , usually office workers.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

we did ditches. Idiot.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My sister is "Director of Human Resources and Staff Development" at one of the Ivy League schools. She has PHD and like 14-15 years of college or some ridiculous amount of schooling.

I think she organizes the employees so they work efficiently. Honestly, I really don't know what she does. I know it must as boring ASF though. But she can work from home if she doesn't have a meeting, come and go as she pleases and gets paid well.

Mostly I think they type useless stuff on they're laptops and have meeting about meaningless subjects.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.