Is the miniskirt still a symbol of femininity and feminism?

• liz
    Favorite Answer

I’m not sure that miniskirts were especially thought to be connected with feminists. They were just fashionable at the time in the way flares, face paint, and bright colourful clothes for the hippies were in.  In fact women didn’t really go for a very feminine look at all in the 60’s.  It was a stylised, experimental and sometimes unisex look. Men and women’s hairstyles reflected each other.  Androgynous. It wasn’t about femininity. See the pic below. Heels are low and practical.  Waists and breasts are not obvious. Hair is not long and girly. Tights were unusual colours, they weren’t natural looking. 

Miniskirts were about showing off a part of the body that hadn’t been shown before. It was revolutionary because it was new but that didn’t make it an expression of femininity. 

Also look at the picture you have posted. It reveals no skin around her chest, it isn’t tight-fitting, the waist and bust are not obvious and her hair style is very much like a man’s hairstyle of the day.  It isn’t a feminine look. It’s androgynous, not masculine or feminine.

• Foofa

The miniskirt is hardly scandalous anymore and hence isn't the symbol of empowerment it once was. Today's "empowered" woman is wearing something more akin to really tight gym wear. 

• Personally I think feminists should adopt burkas and hijabs as their uniform

"Is the miniskirt still a symbol of femininity and feminism?"

LOL No!  60's Feminism had broad based support for the most part when it was still just about simple women's advocacy and the whole society was on board to change the stuffy attitude of the 1950's.  But this is well before the 1970's where the lesbian-feminist faction took over the movement, the 1980's where anti-porn became prominent and the 1990's where the gender feminists took over and kicked out the equity feminists that would not go along with the newer, blatantly man-hating movement at that time.

Fast foward to today, and feminism looks more like a Puritan, rape-hysteria movement where one suffers "microagressions" through "eye rape", and spoken words are "violence", criticism online is "bullying", and just to be a woman is to be considered a "victim" by the feminist lobby.  Red hair, a nose ring, tattoos, boots and masculine clothing are the fashion for feminism now.

.

I wouldn't say feminism but you could argue that it's generally considered pretty feminine. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a symbol of anything though. Also I really don't think they're in modern style right now though retro stuff is coming back. I like to wear a lot of retro clothes and I just got this black mini skirt from the 90s and this purple velvet tank top (also from the 90s) off of Etsy and I'm stoked.

Who still wears miniskirts? I ain't seen that shìt in years