My autistic brother is stressing me out. What should I do?

My brother’s 

autism is low so he’s able to speak and do stuff just fine. The only thing is he’s an adult but his brain is wired to think and act like a spoiled six year old. He doesn’t do any chores, he doesn’t eat when anyone tells him to, all he does is either sit on the couch and do nothing or he runs to his room. And when you tell him something either he won’t answer you or he’ll start throwing a huge hissyfit. Today I needed help so I asked him if he could help me clean and he starts screaming at me which got me mad and I finally snapped at him. So we got into this huge fight and it ended up getting a little physical because he tried to punch me, and obviously I had to get out of there for my well being. I love my brother to bits and there’s no hate against him, but he’s stressing me out really bad and he’s stressing out my family too. What should I do because I really need some help. I don’t wanna feel like this everyday and I know for a fact my mother doesn’t want to either.

Just don't talk to him anymore. Pretend he doesn't exist. Thank me later.

talk to your parents about it

• Lily

I am by no means saying to abandon your brother, but it may be time to put him in a home or other supportive facility that deals especially with people who have a variety of disabilities. Many caregivers have plenty of experience in dealing with Autistic behaviors as well. In many of these places weekly visits are encouraged and accepted.

He might also be happier and feel more accepted being around others who are like him. Maybe part of the reason why he is so frustrated (with no fault of any of your family members) is because he feels no one around him understands how his condition makes him feel and act.

Remember that in the rare situation when he does get physical, he doesn't mean to and he still loves you the same way he always has. Yes, people with autism usually do "behave as a child" on some levels but as you said that is exactly how his behaviors are wired.

If he is moved to a home shared with others who have disabilities, he definitely will learn how to do chores especially if he has the proper caregiver to teach him how. Years back I worked in such a home, and every house member had a designated time of day and assigned chore that they would perform If all of the chores were completed then we did something fun on a Friday (such as a movie, picnic, swimming, etc.) 

There were (usually) no hissy fits because everyone knew the consequences (no fun on Fridays) if the chores went ignored. Friday Fundays really did encourage everyone to do their part in keeping the house clean, help me cook meals, etc.

Do your parents know of this recent confrontation?  If not, then it's time to do so.  It's up to your parents to decide on how to handle the situation.  

He sounds like a liberal.

• Tj

Time to get professional help for all of the family. Or put him in a state run home.

• Da

Well, I always try to kill the source, instead of putting bandaids on my wounds. So either deal with it or put him into a place where someone else will deal with him.

Simple 

• Rick B

Sounds like your parents need to start requiring him to participate and do chores.  He seems capable of doing so.  Why are they allowing him to do nothing?