Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why does my mom get angry when I wish designer clothing for my birthday?

So to start this off, I am a 16 year old boy. Both of my parents are 37 and they both work. My mom has a decent salary but my has a way better one. I like clothes and I would like to wish some Hugo Boss, Gant and Tommy for my birthday. My dad was fine with it but my mom freaked out. 

I showed her one of the hoodies that I liked and she immediatky asked me what this hoodie for $200 does better than one for 80 bucks. I just told her that I liked it. Why is she like this?

cause she probably dont think you should be wearing it

• dman63

So what if you like it? Come on.  It’s a HOODIE.  You have to admit that paying $200 for a hoodie is ludicrous.  Your mom realizes that anyone who spends that kind of money is paying for a name, nothing more.  If you were buying it with your own money, it would be a different matter - still ridiculous, but your own business. Once you’re paying your own way in life I think you’ll get where she’s coming from.

Because your mom knows the value of a dollar.  Perhaps her parents lived paycheck to paycheck when she was growing up.  Perhaps your parents financial situation isn't as great as you seem to believe.  You won't know unless you ask her.  Even you have to realize a $200 hoodie is a little on the ridiculous side.

She knows that it’s material things and teen go through phases where they like this or that and waste money on things that don’t have value. To her it’s a waste of money and probably something you will only wear once.