Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What do you think of these names for book characters?

Shaylee Bincincle

Heather Watts

Fisher Caruso

Hardy Tapatio

Elena Zwanzigger

it depends what age group they are aimed at. Adults will be fine with the surnames generally, young kids may have trouble...maybe pick something a little less tongue-tying for a couple 😋

If your going for funny. Maybe Hardy Potato...? Etc...

• Tina

They are very funny. Was that the idea?

• Andrew

What difference does it make what I think? Have you got a decent story in which to feature them? Have you got the chops to write it well? If you're ticking those boxes you could call them Jane Brown, Mary Jones, John Smith, Frank Williams, Henry Thompson and Ellen Johnson and it wouldn't matter. 

you want something a little simpler for your last names, try looking up common last names and finding something simple and catchy as these just aren't going to catch on I'm sorry

The only one that sounds realistic is the "Heather."  The others remind me of the absurd names used by Ian Fleming in his "James Bond" books.     

• gerald

They sound made up 

• Bob

They are drag queen names 

• Amber

Shaylee and Elena are ok but their last names are a bit odd. The first names don't match the last names. Heather Watts is the only decent one that actually sounds like someone might be called that and not wince with embarrassment. Bincincle is a cringe-worthy last name. Zwanzigger...really? I'll admit the U.S have some odd names but some of the surnames you've chosen are a bit of a mouth full. I know a girl in U.S called "wavy" and I was begging for her last name to be "Lines".

Fisher? Hardy? Please tell me people don't call their kids those names. But I've always liked the name Heather and Elena. They are just nice and don't sound pretentious. I see so many kid writers who name their characters:

Abigayle Mae Mari Nova Sinclaire Grey. They choose wacky spellings for everyday names and everyone must have a middle name and they must be exotic. Just sounds unrealistic.

Just give your character a first name and a last name that fit their history and origin and that aren't a mouth full. Names their parents would have picked.