Ray asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Why isn’t there a fighter as good as Bruce lee was?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

The majority of all elite-level martial artists today could "destroy" Bruce Lee in his prime. The guys that Bruce Lee beat during his hey day wouldn't last 5 seconds in a cage with the top-level guys of today, and Bruce Lee himself would be beaten within 1 round by a guy in his same weight class. From 1964 to 1973, Bruce Lee was tougher than the average fighter, but even a "young, super-fit, Bruce Lee", would be "sub-par" in the UFC or Bellator today -- unless he received quality MMA training for at least a year before competing.

• 3 weeks ago

Bruce seemed to be a highly trained martial artist but remember fights in movies and tv shows are choreographed. There probably are martial artist who are as good or better than Bruce Lee. Bruce never tried to get in a fight but sometimes he had to. Even though he could probably beat most other practitioners of the art he never  showed off, he only gave demonstrations. In the late 60's to early 80's martial arts was extremely popular in the world and the U.S. Bruce Lee said that he would train anyone that was serious about learning.Some of the more traditional Asian masters didn't like this and let him know it. He refused people that said they want to do it to beat up people or show off. He had a sixth sense and could tell if someone wanted to do that even if they didn't admit it.  

Source(s): new articles and books
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Bruce Lee was a joke who had little to no martial arts skills what so ever.

He was a dance teacher who looked good on film and with the aid of the Film industries special effects was made to appear to be a martial arts expert.

Put him in a real fight and a Granny with a wooden leg and one arm could have beaten him to a pulp!

• Megumi
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There have been countless better fighters than he was. He never mastered even one martial art, he was afraid to compete in martial arts championships and the results of his street fights are controversial, thus there is no firm reasonable basis for saying he was  a great fighter. He could not master Wing Chun in two years at least, while a good student can master such a simple style in one year. Yip Man said that Bruce Lee was too immature and egotistical to learn as he should. Bruce Lee was far below the best in Yip Man's kwoon. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

How good was Bruce Lee? He was an icon as far as martial arts history. He is one of a kind no doubt. We never really saw him in a real or competitive fight. He was an innovator as far as cross training and not staying with one system for that I praise him. But all and all the jury is still out on how good of a fighter he really was. 

• 1 month ago

Bruce Lee is vastly overrated. Many fighters much better than him in his time or now. He refuse compete in adult martial arts tournaments, because he know he lose. He never master even one martial art. He become brand name and hoaxes have been invented about him since soon after his death. His widow and daughter millionaires from crassly selling outlandish tales about him, 

• Paul
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Bruce Lee was far and above anyone else in terms of craftmanship and dexterity ,

chuck norris has said so himself, everyone else is just salty and unaware of their own 

shortcomings, i have been proficient in martial arts and can speak as a true unbiased commentator, bruce studied ate and drank "mma" 24 /7 ,add to that his one of a kind 

speed and agility and u've got a combination deadlier than a pack of dynamite ,as to answer your question it just happens that he was a genetic freak of nature blessed with talent to match ,not to forget his dedication

• 1 month ago

Bruce Lee was a arrogant and hot headed youth, and he never finished any martial art system.  Bruce Lees main foundation is Wing Chun, but he never completed the art.  Bruce wanted to learn other martial arts, so he came to Master Gin Foon Mark's school of Southern Praying Mantis, Bruce challenged two of his students to fight with him, and both of Gin Foon Mark's students beat him.  After being beaten, he joined the school and was taught Kwong Sai Jook Lum for a few months, but had to quit because of his acting career.  He wanted Master Gin Foon Mark to travel with him to continue his lessons, but Gin Foon Mark refused because he was dedicated to his students and school.  Bruce Lee also learned some Tai Chi, but never got very far in it.  Bruce Lee is a Jack-asss of all martial art trades, but a master of none.

I was trained under one of Master Gin Foon Mark's disciples, and have personally met Master Mark a few different times, so the story that i'm relaying to you is a true one.

• Steel
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There were and are many far superior to Bruce Lee as a "fighter".

Lee was unique for a multitude of reasons, but as the years after his death go on, his legend and stories of his fantastical feats seem to grow more outlandish.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Edit:>Wake up and smell your own crap.

Bruce was not even the best of Ipman's students. he never fought professionally and only had a hand full of street fights.

He was not that good.

@Ray, I doubt he would kill me, I trained under several of his instructors. I forgot more then lee ever new about martial arts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.