Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 1 month ago

Can I quit my job and recieve unemployment?

So I am a server, I make $2.13 an hour. My wages/tips have directly affected as a result of co-vid 19 because of the limit of people that are allowed in the restaurant. My job is not willing to give me a pay raise despite this and I’m not making enough to live of off. I’ve been job hunting and cannot find anything. Please help

Serious answers only please

There is nowhere in the ENTIRE USA where you can be making less than the required minimum wage, and nowhere is it $2.13 an hour.  If so, you need to get an attorney to file a claim immediately for your back wages, at the very least.  No, "unemployment" is not typically available to anyone who has voluntarily quit or who refuses to go back to work after a layoff.

You can sometimes receive unemployment for being UNDER-paid as well as unemployed. You can't simply quit and apply--but you should definitely check with your state's bureau and find out what you MIGHT be entitled to for having hours and wages cut. 

I would simply look for another job, too.

You are not entitled to unemployment benefits if you quit.  Applying is fraud.  What makes you think your employer should raise your pay rate when he is also losing money?  Covid affects him too.  You aren't the only person in the world who has been affected.  And I seriously doubt that you are making only $2.13 an hour.  If that were true, you would have been complaining long before now, not only during covid.

• Amy

They are legally required to pay you minimum wage if the tips don't reach that threshold.

Beyond that, there's nothing you can do except vote for a higher minimum wage / ban on tipping

If you quit so that you can receive unemployment, then you cannot receive unemployment.

If your hours have been reduced AND are now part time, then you can receive unemployment if you do NOT quit.

• Scott

No, you can't qualify for unemployment if you quit. 

You cannot get unemployment if you quit.  That would defeat the purpose of that program.  

You make minimum wage in the state of North Carolina.  Your tips must bring you up to $7.25 an hour or your employer has to make up the difference.  It is extremely misleading (or even dishonest) to say you only make $2.13.  You make $7.25 (which isn't anything to brag about, but still correct.)

You do not make $2.13 an hour.

You make minimum wage.  The same hourly wage you made before covidd-19. 

You have a job, why would you be able to quit your job and get unemployment?

No. You quit your job. Have you tried asking your job to fire you, laid you off, or put you on furlough. Under those conditions, you would qualify for unemployment. 

If I were you, I would at least ask to be furlough or be laid off since you get state unemployment and $600 a week from the federal government. Too bad it ends at the end of this month unless there’s an extension. That’s why so many people continue to be on unemployment because they’re making more money being unemployed than working. 

Of course not. And you are guaranteed minimum wage. Its the law. (when adding tips)

If thats not enough for you, you are free to quit or seek other employment. Millions are out of work right now. So not enough is better than none which is what you get if you quit.