Joining the military means that you will waste your life away! Yes or no!?

• L

Absolutely NOT!  The military teaches a person discipline/responsibility, etc.

It is easier for a veteran to get a job, after being Honorably Discharged, than civilians.

Serving in the military means when l retired l do not have any money problems.

Lets see now.. I have to say NO...

'

My wife and I Both Retired Military gets totally free medical care between the military retirement care, VA, and Medicare, Wife and I receive just over $4,000.00  a month military retirement pay, we get about $2,500.00 grand a month  in SSC. so we are making about $6,500.00 grand a month for not doing anything at all. not working and do not need to.. 

'Lets see.. I guess we wasted just over 20 years of our lives for nothing didn't we according to your thinking.. 'Maybe  $78,000 a year for not doing anything is wasting time to you..

'

Also we have been to at least 40 to 50 different countries either lived there or was able to make almost free trips as we just paid for the gas to drive to many from places we were stationed at and or got FREE FLIGHTS on military and military chartered flights.

Is that wasting time to you as we were also getting 30 days PAID VACATION A MONTH each year. so figure out of 24 years we were actually paid for 2 years while on vacation.. 

• John

I still receive 100% free medical from the VA for those 4 yrs I served in the USAF in the late 1960s.  People tell me the VA is the best medical coverage there is.

Not true, at all. 

your life, your decision, MY life, MY decision................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.
  • Daniel

My bank account tends to say that I didn't waste my life away.  

The Air Force gave me the opportunity to see the world. 

I got paid to get my BS from one of the top engineering schools in the country.  The Air Force paid for my masters.  The VA paid me to go to school for an associates, which also got me a professional license.  

I could be living better than most people right now on just my pension in my mid-40s, but choose to work to enjoy life even more.  

The military paid for my three college degrees, lifetime pension, trained me for a career that now pays me $130K/year and I've got over $1.8M in savings. Didn't waste my life away.

Definitely no.

Oh you can waste you time if you wish, but you'll never have a better opportunity to get trained and educated in a career enhancing skill and expertise at no cost to you.  And HRs love ex-military personnel because military are typically reliable and hard workers.

So if you're at a point in your life where you have no skills or expertise to land a job or you have no clue what you want to be when you finally grow up, the military is a great place to fix that.

John Kerry said something like that, which is why he lost to GW in 2004.