Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 3 months ago

Would you stop talking to you parents if they abused you?

Let's say if you were abused as a child and in your adolescence by your parents. You reach the age of 20 and want to escape from your abusive parents and never want any contact with them ever again, do you think that is right? 

(btw English is not my first language )

If your parents are/were abusive, you have every right to cut them out of your life. They weren't there for you as a child when you needed them most, so you have no obligation to be there for them. If my parents were abusive, I would absolutely cut them out of my life. I wouldn't want that kind of burden to maintain contact with them when I don't want to and have good reason not to.

Absolutely - as a child you don't get to choose who your parents are.  

There is nothing wrong with breaking contact with toxic people that come across your path in life - relatives included.