after mowing, my hand is burning , and sore, what could cause this?

It also feels ithcy like u want to scratch it. The skin feels puffy.

Favorite Answer

I get that too! It's the worst. I think its just because our hands have been rubbing up against the lawnmower for a long period of time and there's some irritation on the epidermis. This happens when I vacuum, sweep and mow.

It should go away after a few hours to a day. Put some ice and lotion (or aloe vera) on it and try not to rub it anymore.

Did you mow over poison ivy, poison oak or stinging nettles?  Or did you put your hand in some caustic spray chemical for weed control?  

maybe use gardening gloves

the cause is... putting your hand under the mower while mowing.

• Mr. P

If you were wearing gloves then it could be an irritant in the gloves. This can be dried grass, oil, a fungus or mold or even just the gloves degrading.

It could be vibration from the mower, but usually affects finger joints or wrist first.

It could be plant sap from species such as poison ivy.

It could be sunlight if it was a very sunny day.

It can be sunlight COMBINED with plant sap - as some cause an irritant only when it is exposed to sunlight. (Weird I know but I have had this myself).

Or it could be something else completely that has nothing to do with you mowing the lawn - like mold in your washing up gloves or washing your hands in bleach.

(Tip - use talcum powder in rubber gloves after using - and hang up to dry.- they last longer)

This is on top of my hand , not the bottom, and yes I am used to mowing, I mow every wk. in the summer.

• Alan

If is a push mower,It could be that it is blistering 

from rubbing against the handle of 

the mower.    Possibly wearing gloves next time 

might help if you didn't wear them this time. 

Also, you couldn't have got into a poisonous plant (poison ivy, poison oak) and you can have rash and a reaction.  

Also,  you could an allergic reaction to chemicals or natural substance on your lawn.     

Oddball case,  if you have a really large yard and it took hours, 

you may have been sunburned.  

• Scott

Carpal tunnel syndrome.

You not used to mowing.

Exercise and massage it. Eat more protein.

• Rain

Vibration?