Small backyard privacy ideas needed?

Hello, I live in Paris, Ontario and built a new home in a typical city lot subdivision. My back yard is very small with nearly no privacy beyond a 6ft fence. The rear neighbors have two-storey homes that can easily see into my backyard space.

I am looking for ideas for getting privacy via trees,etc. for example that can have maximum height beyond the 6ft fence (dream would be 10+ feet above fence line, so 15+ feet from ground if possible), but as narrow as possible to not take up too much of my already very small backyard

Open to any suggestions including building the trees up from the ground to allow quicker options to get height from start, etc... Hoping someone can help me here - really need some privacy!

Here are few inexpensive ideas for your backyard-

1. Hang Outdoor Curtains Around Your Patio

2. Install a Retractable Backyard Screen

3. Use bamboo to shield your hideaway.

4. Put Up a Simple Lattice Fence

5. Build a Living Wall

6. Create a cozy hideaway with shrubs.

For effective shrub maintenance, you can hire, services like Safeguard Properties

Look at the selections from fast_growing_trees.com

Narrow your search for narrow trees. I would get am evergreen tree that is tall and narrow, like an arborvitae, which will give you year round coverage.

Personally, I would also consider building a pergola or erecting a sun shade or one of those metal framed canopies with a canvas top.

Perhaps adding a fence topper of lattice and planters hung on the fence, you could grow vines for privacy coverage while the trees grow. With that, a large outdoor umbrella could afford you added privacy.

Treat the space like an outdoor room. You can get many outdoor privacy ideas at Pinterest.com.

Maybe consider building a pergola at the back and planting climbers to trail around and over it, that way you can have a private seating area but are not blocking out all of the sun 

• ron h

Go to a local plant nursery. (not lowes or HD)  They can give you good advice for YOUR climate.  It your lot is small, you don't want huge trees.

I'd look into fast grow evergreen tree like Arborvitae they grow tall and planting a row would create a wall. Of course it will take some time to grow. These are narrow and would not take a lot of room. Plus evergreens do not lose leaves like a tree in the winter.

A hedge like a Frazierphotena its green and the bottom and had a cool red top. They would be wide and take longer to grow but over time it would look great.

I had a home like that and we planted asap because we were going to live their a while. It took years to get coverage. But, had true value when we sold.

Another idea is buying larger plants verses the baby plants. Plants in five gallon buckets have great root, won't die,  well harder to kill..lol.

Hope this helps.

Your nursery should be able to tell you the best choices.

Look around your neighborhood see what's growing tall.

Happy planting

• Kenny

Would one of those roll out awnings work ?  Attached to the house and roll out toward the fence .

• Mr. P

You could fll your yard with trees, but then you would have constant shade and a dark garden. Plus it would take 15 years to do that.

I think it is a touch of buyers remorse that now you don't like people looking at your yard.

How about instead you make your back yard look nice with a lawn and flower borders and make friends with your neighbours.

Grapevines on trellises and arbor. Hops.