Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 month ago

is creating and uploading mixtapes legal?

the definition of mixtape im talking about is:

"songs are either ordered sequentially or made into a continuous program by beatmatching the songs and creating seamless transitions at their beginnings and endings with fades or abrupt edits"

i made a few mixtapes of my favourite tunes and uploaded them to soundcloud. they have gained some traction and somebody asked me if i could make them available to download.

I'd really like to do that but i'm not sure if its legal and after consulting google search im still not sure. is it enough to change the pitch or tempo a little for the tracks to count as a remix? is there even a law concerning this? i hope somebody here knows :)

im sure this doesnt factor in to the legality but i bought all the songs i could find for sale and asked for approval from a lot of artists. all of them are completely fine with me putting their songs in a mix.

not sure about offering a direct download tho.

thanks, sign!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Tony B is correct.

It wouldn't change anything even if you had bought *all* the songs.  You see, when you "buy" a song, you don't technically own it...you just buy the right to listen to it.  Sounds crazy, right?  But that's the law. The right to make copies of recordings and distribute them requires buying a different license. Changing the tempo or pitch changes nothing. Look at it this way.  Say you borrowed a friends car, and painted it a different color.  That would still be the same car, even if it looked different...and it would still belong to your friend.

Now, the chance of getting caught and prosecuted for making a mix tape is pretty low, unless a lot of people start downloading it. But if you did get caught, every artist whose music you used could sue you. To do it legally, you  need to buy a license to all the copyrighted material you're using. 

BTW, getting approval from a lot of the artists *might* not be enough to use their music.  You have to get permission from the copyright holder, and that is often the record label, not the artist.

• 1 month ago

If you upload anything that is not in the public domain and that you do not own the copyright to  (or have permission to use) then you are breaking the law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.