Does private colleges and high school have better quality of education than public schools and college ?

I have a PhD, two Master's degrees (with a third on the way), and a BA.  I would argue that of all the schools I have attended, I found that the best, most pragmatic education (and also the cheapest) I received was through the Cal State University system. The worst was the private law school I attended for a semester.  I think the Cal States are better than even UCLA, which I briefly attended, because the classes are actually taught by the professors and not teaching assistants.  That being said, the top ranked universities in the country are a nice mix of private and public universities.  

High schools much more so than colleges and universities.  There are some land grant universities which are every bit as prestigious as the Ivy League, e.g., the University of California system.  High schools it makes a great difference because public high schools do not require teachers to have degrees in the subjects that they teach.  Someone with a M.Ed can be tapped to teach math, science, or History.  Historians are actually discouraged from teaching in public schools because all of those coaches have to teach something, and they usually are not very good at trig.

*Do* private colleges and high *schools* have better quality of education than public schools and *colleges*...

It's the quality of the student body that's better.  Many public schools are party schools especially the bigger state universities.  I heard so many horror stories about drunk people pissing in stairwells and on statues it's not even funny.

As someone who went to both private and public schools, I'd say "generally, but not always".  There are plenty of amazing public schools, such as Stuyvesant High in NYC and U. Cal-Berkeley, and lots of cruddy private ones.  But overall, private schools have more funding and are more selective with students, so they are generally better.  But, again, not always.

Yes. In low income diverse public school I see a lot of racist teachers. In "non-diverse" private school you'd see more racist students.

I'd assume you do the research on a good private school rather than one for the students who got suspended or expelled from the public school.

No, that is not always true. In many ways SOME public universities have equal educational quality as private colleges and universities. I would not know about public high schools becauae I never went to one. I am a 2 time alumna of Tulane University (private) and University of Oklahoma (public). I went to 2 private schools for high school. Apparently Isidore Newman School has a nation wide reputation.   

• John

The answer depends on the individual school or college, and cannot be determined on a vast "private vs. public" measure.  

Not necessarily.  Sometimes they do.  Many private high schools provide an alternative curriculum and class size to local public schools.  Often these schools are religious.  Some just want to provide a different approach or exclusivity.  Some are in direct response to poor academics or overcrowding at public schools.

Many of the top universities are private, but there are also some extraordinary public universities.  There are also literally hundreds of small private colleges that aren't particularly strong academically.  Again, many of these smaller schools were at least started by a religious organization.  There are hundreds of Catholic schools.  Some, like Georgetown and Notre Dame, are top universities.  Others are not.

• drip

No.  

I have three Catholic private elementary and HS around me. They have low scores  and a low percentage of students  go on to college.  Private schools do not have to hire teachers that have a degree in education/teaching.  Some private HS are prep schools with high tuition and give an excellent education.  Our local Public HS is great.  

At the university level many public state universities are excellent. Ohio State University, UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan State, University of Illinois.  Many private universities are run of the mill, below average and some are topped ranked, such as Yale.

You can not compare all private schools against all public schools. There are good and bad on both sides.

Sometimes, or in part.  There is no general rule that applies.  You don't always get what you pay for, and very few schools excel at everything that they do, so going to a private school to get a better education will be a waste if you go to one that isn't all that great in the particular area that you want to study, even if it is well known for some other fields.