Could i move a moon with my hand if there is no planets gravity nearby?

I was thinking because space has zero g i am assuming thats zero mass in weight? If i had a space ship could i park up and push it and it would float away or would it be a immovable object relitive to my strength ?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

"space has zero g" that is totally false, all objects anywhere are subject to gravitational forces.

"zero g" is NOT "zero mass", and neither concept makes sense. 

Any large object has a large mass, which means a large inertia, which means it takes a large force to make it move. The mass is independent of any gravitational fields, and is an inherent part of the object. That is newton's law, F=ma.

• 1 month ago

zero gravity does not mean zero mass so no

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The mass of an object does not change whether it is on a planet like Earth or in faraway space where almost no gravity exists. This means to move an object on a planet, you'd have to exert the same force to move it in space....if, of course, you have a firm foot on something!

• Manuel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I'm afraid that what you suggest is impossible, be safe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The moon has a lot of mass. It takes a huge force to accelerate that mass even a little bit. F = ma

So you could not move a moon by pushing it. You and your ship would move, not the moon. 

And your arm wouldn't even have the strength to make your ship move. 

• Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No---as MASS is RESISTANCE to movement or a change in movement---YOU don't have enough strength to overcome that MASS---even IF you had a place to stand.----Try pushing a BIG boat away from a pier it is loosely tied to----No luck and it is definitely smaller than a MOON.

• 1 month ago

"SHOW ME A PLACE TO STAND and I will move the Earth" - Archimedes.

• 1 month ago

Space doesn't have zero G but there can be places where there is practically no gravity.  Weight is not mass and objects have the same momentum.

• 1 month ago

Because of the vast distance in Mass between you and the moon

You would be moved a lot more than the Moon

However, if you were among the finer objects of Saturn's Orbiting Rings

You could pick out a piece of Ice, turn around and throw it, Retrograde against the main flow

Officially it would actually be another moon because of its seperation

You could even name it

• 1 month ago

Well... in fact, you could. 

But not the way you think.  Space doesn’t have ‘zero g’ - gravity from the Earth extends into space technically forever.  Our gravity keeps the space station in orbit, and the moon, and the sun’s gravity keeps our whole solar system together. 

But... suppose you’re in a universe where it’s some moon and you - and nothing else...  It’s 100 miles away from you. You have nothing to compare the moon to, so it looks motionless to you.  You raise your hand to it - and there’s a very *small* force of gravity from your hand acting on the moon (along with the rest of your body...). 

The moon appears to move *toward* you - and, in fact it is... What’s happening is the moon is attracting you through gravity, and you’re attracting the moon with the same force.  Your mass is much less than the moon’s, so it’s actually *you* that’s accelerating toward the moon - but, the moon is accelerating very minutely toward *you* too. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.