dumb question about prescription refills and med changes?

so I started taking a medication 2 months ago, ran out of refills and called my doc to get more. she also upped my dose from 10mg to 20mg.

When calling the pharmacy to refill my meds I'm supposed to give my rx number. Since my medication already ran out of refills before and I also got my dose changed, will the rx number stay the same or is it like a brand new script, so using the automatic prescription refill hotline wont work?

Favorite Answer

Ah, when you get a change in dosage, that's not a refill.  A refill is an exact copy of the original prescription.  Your prescription has changed because of the change in dosage.  Your MD should phone in the new prescription to your designated pharma.  Again, you need a new prescription; so the refill hotline will not work.  ANS.

• keerok

From where I am, when you call the doctor and he raised the dose, he should have given you a new prescription. Since you mentioned something about an automatic prescription, the new dose should reflect that already. To be sure, verify at the pharmacy if the dose is higher. If it's not, call your doctor again to resend the prescription.