Highways required to have two emergency lanes?

I only ask cause around my area there is a lot of construction on our freeways and through a lot of them there is only the left emergency lane, no right. And any free road for a car on the right is the travel lane, cause the area that is a open area is blocked by concrete rail. 

• Edna

Ha! Try driving on I-35, south or north, between Waco and Austin. There are no break-down lanes on either side of that stretch of roadway. Your left side is blocked off by the concrete barrier that will separate the south- and north-bound lanes of traffic. when work is completed.. There is nothing on the right of your lane except for large cranes, because highway construction is still going on. 

You're stuck in ONE narrow lane of dense traffic in both directions for the next several miles.  

That only applies to Federally funded multi-lane, limited access highways, and that regulation is waived for construction / maintenance activities. In other words, you're SOL. If you don't like it, stay off the freeway.

• Erik

Here in LA, you might have two, one, or zero.  I was always worried about my car dying on a freeway with no shoulder.

Call the transportation department in your city and ask what the rules are when they are making repairs.

No, I've even seen some without any emergency lane or some sections, especially bridges and tunnels.  If there is one, then that's one more than some have (zero).