Is there a way to make the steering of a car easier?

I'm helping a family friend find a new car and she has weaker arms because she's broken them in the past and is getting older. She says that she doesn't like the little knob that you can add to the steering wheel. She wants to turn the steering wheel with less effort and for the car to turn a lot more.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There are high pressure steering pumps made for handicap vehicles, mostly traditional vans, that make the steering so easy it's scary, like drive with a pinky finger scary. 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What rock are you and your  friend living  under?  All your friend needs is a car with power steering,  

Even if someone has weak arms, it takes very little effort to turn the steering wheel of a car with power steering. Power steering has been standard, factory-installed equipment on almost all cars ever since the late 1980's/early 1990's.. 

People don't put those "little knobs" on the steering wheel of a car with power steering, because they're not needed. I have car that is almost 10 years old that has  power steering. If I wanted to do so, i could would turn the steering wheel of that car, using only 3 fingers of one hand.  

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There’s a simple device that allows you to sit in the back and makes steering effortless . It’s called a Taxi.

• 1 month ago

narrow front tires 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The knob is not legal for road driven cars.  If her arms are too weak for power steering then she should not be driving.PERIOD.

DMV

If the car is moving the steering wheel turns easy.  Standing still is harder for manual steering cars like imports or smaller cars...though they all have gotten power assisted steering, so if the engine is running, the steering wheel turns.

• 1 month ago

the knob is called a suicide knob..........for a reason

• 1 month ago

blow the front tyres up to correct pressures ..if the power steering is working ok there is is very little else you can do .without paying out a lot of money 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Does it have power steering or steering problems?

• 1 month ago

maybe a mechanic can do that

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Tell your friend to start going to the gym.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.