I added a SSD to use as my boot disk.  I copied everything from the HDD and set the SSD as my startup disk.?

Now, I want to clean up the files from both drives and eliminate unneeded dupes.  Is there a way to know which files are needed and which drive they are on?

• Adrian

Most SSD vendors provide cloning tools, to copy the HDD to the SDD intact, as a bootable drive. Look up the vendor of your SSD and find their cloning tool. Just copying files will not work, the applications will fail for sure.

• keerok

Copied? It wouldn't work. All programs in the HDD should be reinstalled from scratch to the SSD. Before doing anything backup (or just make copies of all your personal files and data) to an external drive (USB, CD/DVD). Remove the HDD,  install everything you need to the SSD, make sure it boots and everything works before you reattach the HDD. Do not delete anything yet and use the computer for a month or so. When you're confident everything is fine, you can delete the windows and program files folders in the old HDD. 

• Lv 7

if you have everything copied to the SSD, just format the hard drive, and use ot as secondary storage.