What would you do with your elderly widowed mother who needed help taking care of herself?

My poor mother needed help. However, my (BULLY, THIEVING) brother (who used to beat me up when I was a kid)  used to drop in and sleep over once or twice a month, so that killed the idea of me moving in with her and helping her. So she was in a nursing home. She died 10 years ago and I still feel very bad for not helping her . . .   

take care of her. do not ever put her in a nursing home. that is the worse place to put anyone. 

• Snid

1.  Take care of her.

2.  Hire someone to take care of her.

3.  Put her in an assisted living facility where there will be people to help her.

• kswck2

Drop her off at the dog track and change my phone number. 

how does American culture view older people in general

It depends on my situation.

With this coronavirus if you are not working, go stay with your mother or have her move in with you.  Outside caretakers might infect her.

if you have a job, then see if someone else in your family can live with her.

If no one can help her, she will need some sort of assisted living but if she owns her dwelling, the deed to the property will go to the nursing home, not you.

• Laredo

You take care of your mother now that she needs help.  If the help she needs is beyond your capabilities then you take steps to find her the help she needs.

I moved in with her because she had fibromyalgia, MS and other issues. I took care of her until I knocked on her door one morning and there wasn't an answer. 

5 years is a long time to be away so their behavior doesn't surprise me. She was gone closer to 15 years before I found her but I moved in like 15 years after that. 

• .

If necessary, I would take care of her to the extent possible as I did my grandmother who had dementia.  But eventually, a skilled nursing home may be needed.