Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Is it my fault?

So my car was in my drive way and someone had parked there motorcycle right behind me. I couldn’t see it from my back window so I started backing up a lightly hit it. For what I can see there wasn’t any damage to either vehicle but everyone was saying it was my fault. How is it my fault if someone parked there bike right behind me, never told me, and I could see it??

*couldn’t

someone had parked there where?

• Phil M

You could clearly see behind the vehicle before you got in. Nothing stopped you from looking then. They're walking to their car, which is right over there. You're welcome, hope this helps improve your grammar.

• Neil

The Highway Code (Rule 201) states that you should reverse in to a driveway, so that you drive out forwards, not drive in and reverse out.

"Their" bike, not "there" bike.

You should always check your path is clear before you drive.

If you cannot see, don't move. Get someone else to see you out.

It was an unattended bike this time, it could be an animal, a child, an elderly person on a mobility scooter the next time.

There is a possible parking issue - if the bike actually prevented you being able to get your car off your driveway, then whoever parked it there committed a parking offence in blocking your vehicle in. Strangely, if your car had not been there, and the bike prevented you from getting the car on to your driveway, that is not an offence. However whether or not a parking offence was committed does not absolve you of the responsibility for ensuring you drive safely from your driveway onto the road.

It happened to me exactly the same but I was parked in the street. 

it was my fault. I should have inspected all around my car before I drove off, in that case, it was a  motorcycle, but it could have been an animal dog or a cat even a small child playing out. it taught me a lesson 

to always check the rear of my car before reversing.  

It depends on what the judge declares

• May

So it would be your fault. So

So you are always at fault for backing into another vehicle. So

So you must always look to see if the way is clear before you move.  So.

So everyone" that says you would be liable, is correct.  So

The "so" generation.

Yep, it's always someone else's fault.

The law REQUIRES that your "path" be clear whether you are driving forward, backing up, making a turn.  Yes, you are responsible for making sure your way is clear before you back up.

One of my more interesting claims was a woman who got in her car with the garage door down, hit the garage door opener and began to back out.  The door didn't open, and she backed into her own garage door.

And then I handled one where a woman in her car in the garage hit the opener, backed out and hit her husband's car (parked in front of the garage) dead center.

I see comparative negligence here.  the owner was guilty by creating the hazard.  You are responsible as it is virtually impossible to claim no negligence when you drive into something.

Typical of today's generation..........not responsible for a thing.