Why aren’t teaching degrees considered professional degrees?

in UK they are  - I hold a bachelor of education degree

They are professional degrees.  Teaching is a profession.

Why do you think the opposite?

You are mistaken.  They are.

Perhaps you are using "professional" as a superlative i.e. Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate.

• Lili

I consider them professional degrees. 

Some people feel that "professional degree" refers only to an advanced degree allowing you to enter certain professions, such as law or medicine, but my view is that ANY degree that qualifies you for a profession -- and primary/secondary school teaching is a profession -- should be called a "professional degree".

After all, you don't need an advanced degree to become an engineer or accountant, and we consider those professions.

I hold a PhD, which qualified me to teach at the university level.  If I am a professional, then a primary/secondary school teacher is one, too.

I believe that a "professional degree" generally refers to someone with a master's degree or higher, such as a MBA (master of business administration), PhD (doctor of philosophy), PsyD (doctor of psychology), PharmD (doctor of pharmacy), O.D. (doctor of optometry), J.D. (juris doctorate - lawyer), DPT (doctor of physical therapy), OTR (occupational therapist, registered), SLP (speech-language pathologist), M.D. (doctor of medicine), and/or D.O. (doctor of osteopathic medicine).

• Elaine

I don't know where you live but in my area a B Ed. (teaching degree) is considered to be a professional degree. Teaching is a profession. 

They are. Teachers are classed as professionals, along with doctors and lawyers because although they don't set their own hours, they have autonomy within the classroom, and make decisions about how and when to teach what they teach.