Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Is "medium" a good bicycle size for a 5'8'' male?

I'm between 5'8'' and 5'9'', would "medium" be the best size for me?  Or would "large" be better?

YES. medium should be fine for a mountain bike. 

Are you still growing. If so might want to consider LARGE.It would have enough leg room. (if upper body is too big/small = just need to change stem length. $20-50)Measure legs first. (frame shape & size cannot be changed) Then upper body (simple as changing stem length and/or bar type) 

Not all bicycles are the same. As pointed out, you never said which specific bicycle from what company. On top of that, not all people 5' 8" or 5' 9" tall have the same body proportions. Some may have longer legs & a shorter torso than the next person. Some might have slightly longer or shorter arms than the next person the same height.

Open the following link & then click on "What is my size?" located on the right side of the web page. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-3  See what I mean? You could take either a Small or Medium frame size.  How do you find out?  With a test ride!  No test ride before the sale = No $ale.  

Rule of thumb would say - yes.  But hold on.  What type or style of bike?  Road bike, hybrid, mountain bike...what?  If it is a MTB, 26" tires, 27.5" tires or a 29'er?  From what company?  What does their sizing chart say - if they even have one?  If you're thinking about an internet sale, I have one word of advice.  DON'T!  An internet sale might be fine for the advanced rider who knows how to read frame geometry, top tube length, seat-tube length, stack height & more.  

For a newbie...TRY BEFORE YOU BY!  If you can't test ride it before the sale, DON'T buy it.  Speaking from personal experience, some brands tend to be a little bigger or smaller compared to the SAME advertised size bike from the next company.  Fuji immediately comes to mind.  All up & down their line of bikes, I need to go DOWN a size.  And I'm also 5' 8" tall.  Repeating...TRY B4 you BUY!