Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

What was school like for older generations ( baby boomers/gen x)?

So since I was little school would always show videos of the 9/11 incident  happening  with people falling out of the buildings and everything . I want to know if while you were in school did you guys have videos like that playing for you guys? at a young age seeing and knowing the people in those videos were dead/going to die left a big impression

were school lockdowns a thing ? I know fire drills and all the other stuff yeah but school shooting drills? 

Were standardized testing a thing and if so, where there as many as we get now?How were school lunches?  Were they not so...empty?  or has nothing changed since?I'm just curious about how school for the older generations are different than school for gen z. If there is any other differences you noticed please share.

I'll answer your questions one at a time, as space permits.

1. 9/11 was a terrorist attack, not an "incident" as you put it. It was planned, financed, and carried out by the order of the government and royal family of Saudi Arabia. The Saudis HATE America with every fiber of their being, although they do try to keep their feelings under wraps for the most part. They are wolves in sheep's clothing. On the one hand, they pretend to be our friends so that we will buy their oil and they in turn can buy weapons like fighter jets from us. But underneath that, they are violently opposed to just about everything that America stands for. They hate our culture, our mode of dress, they hate the fact that women are treated as equals to men (at least in some areas of the US) they hate our religious beliefs, and on and on.

2. The people in the 9/11 films weren't "falling" from the burning Twin Towers- they were JUMPING from them to their DEATHS. That was one of the most horrific events of that terrible day, nearly 19 years ago now. I still have trouble watching the films of that day, in part because of this. Watching people commit suicide in order to avoid being burned alive is NOT a PRETTY SIGHT.

3. They didn't have films of 9/11 when I was in school because it hadn't happened yet. The Twin Towers were built in the early 70's, and they opened in 1976, when I was 12 years old. We did have films about plenty of OTHER things, though, including Watergate and the Vietnam War. There were also films of the race riots that happened at different times, too.

4. Yes, we had standardized tests in school when I was young. They were given in grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10. Usually, they were given over the course of about a week or ten days in the spring. No, we didn't have shooting drills or lockdown drills, because when I was young, the idea that someone could or would bring a gun to school was unheard of. Nobody ever thought that way when I was growing up. The terrible phenomenon of school shootings is a relatively recent occurrence- the first major shootings happened in the late 90's, long after I left high school and was out of college. Every single school shooting that has happened since I left high school has been motivated by one thing and one thing ONLY: A desire for REVENGE for some act or acts, whether REAL or IMAGINED, on the part of the person or people doing the shooting. That is what ties all the shootings from Columbine to Parkland to Sutherland Springs and beyond-together. It's the common denominator that underlies them all, and until we CHANGE THE CULTURE of American public education, and finally address the REAL CAUSES of these shootings, they will keep right on happening, and more innocent kids will wind up dead before they ever have a chance to live their lives.

People of your generation are too young to understand that if we really want to stop these terrible revenge related shootings that are killing our children and teens, then we must CHANGE THE CULTURE, particularly at the secondary or high school level. We live in a country in which people are taught almost from birth that it's okay to use violence and violent behavior to solve problems. Just look at the movies we watch, the music we listen to, the videos we watch, and the news events we listen to if you want examples. Look at the examples of class warfare that are happening all the time in the US. Why is it that, even in the 21st century, women still earn only 79 cents for every dollar that men earn, even when they are doing the same job? Why is it that kids in America only attend school for 6 months out of the year, when kids in every other country on Earth go to school year round or nearly year round? Our school year is the shortest one of any nation on the planet. The only reason it seems longer is because we add in a whole bunch of holidays, vacation days, teacher development days, etc.,that kids DON'T NEED and stretch it out over 10 months. And then to top that off, we give kids 2 or 3 months off every summer. Then our politicians sit on their fat rear ends wondering why it is that American children can't get jobs, get into college, score well on the SAT's and other standardized college entrance exams, get into the military, start businesses of their own, or even compete for employment on an equal basis with their Asian, African, Latin American, Australian, Middle Eastern, and European peers. It's not because they aren't smart enough- it's because they don't KNOW ENOUGH. They aren't educated- because they don't spend enough time IN SCHOOL.

5. Some schools had cafeterias when I was young, but most didn't. Hot lunch programs really didn't come into vogue until the late 70's and early 80's. The food was pretty terrible.

I graduated HS in the mid 1970’s. 

We didn’t have videos. You couldn’t record a TV newscast and play it at school. 

No shooting drills or lockdowns. You didn’t hear of a problem that would warrant  those procedures.

We did some standardized testing, we took the ACT and SAT.

Food was pretty good. A choice of two hot meals and hotdogs and hamburgers were always offered. I went to a rather large HS and many kids got hot lunches so the line was long. 

We had a smoking area in the back of the school for students. Although it was considered that greasers and losers hung out back there.  

We had a big automotive department. Guys learned quite a bit about car repairs. They will oiled rebuild an old car. 

We had a dance department- ballet, jazz and modern dance.   And a Pom team and multiple cheerleader teams.  

It seems we had a lot more elective classes to choose from. I took calligraphy, the art department had a lot to pick from.  I took home EC, which was where I learned to sew. Typing class on electric type writers.    We had the basic science classes plus lots more. I took an 8 week topography class. 

Although student wore jeans, most students  were dressed up more than that, male and female. You  didn’t see students wearing t-shirts and jeans to school. 

Females sports were available but limited.  We had an award winning gymnastics team, with a trampoline.   I don’t think I have seen a trampoline in HS gymnastics is decades.

We had four or five dances throughout the year. Prom was alway very late, right before the end of the school year.

I really don’t remember much talk at school about the Vietnam War.  From students or the teachers.  Or much talk about current affairs.

• Tavy

Baby boomers were born in the 50s and 60s. No videos, no computers, not everyone had TV.

No guns, no lockdowns, it was a different age.

Well...I was born in 1952 so I'm a boomer....there was no such thing as a 'video'. We would have called them 'short films' or 'newsclips', and in order for them to be shown the teacher had to go down to the equipment storage room and wheel back a machine to play them on, or all the students had to go to a room that had film equipment. I don't recall ever seeing anything in school that I might have seen on television. After we got a television, that is, and I think I was probably about 8 when we did. The films, the very few films, that were shown in my schools were educational and pretty dull. I suspect I slept through a good portion of them.

We didn't have school lunches. In elementary school we went home for lunch. On foot. It took 5 minutes to run all the way home. Most mothers didn't work then. My mother did, but she hired a housekeeper who made lunch for us (and wonderful homemade chelsea buns). My best friend had lunch with us because her father was on his own (widowed) and had to be at work all day. In high school there was a lunchroom where you could eat the lunch you brought, and there was also a cafeteria where you could buy whatever lunch you wanted. I barely remember what they served. I usually only bought a piece of pie and some milk to save the rest of my lunch money for something more interesting.

Yes, we had fire drills. Lockdowns? No. Completely unknown. The concept of a student bringing a weapon of any kind into school wasn't even thought of. Then again, I'm in Canada where the concept of random people walking around with guns is still virtually unknown, and of those few times where there has been something involving a school and guns, I don't recall any incidents in which the person with a gun was of school age.

I don't know if there was standardized testing. I don't think so. I remember taking a SAT, but don't know if the exams we took at the end of each term were standardized or not.