Art block and depression?

Any tips for an artist fighting off depression? I've always been up and down with it but with all the covid stuff, I'm loosing my mind. I have no inspiration and have been loosing interest in things more and more lately. I barely sleep and have no appetite for food or art...any tips that might help to naturally boost my mood and spirits a bit?

Favorite Answer

There are things that help artists and everybody else with depression, and I'll tell you about those - but first, I'll answer your question about art block.

Maybe the most interesting thing I can tell you about is a book that I read about in a Times article you can read online, "What's All This About Journaling?" The book is The Artist's Way, a popular book by Julia Cameron. The author of the Times article says that she has been very happy using the approach to journaling recommended by Cameron, which is writing 3 longhand, stream of consciousness pages right after waking up in the morning. She says this is therapeutic and helps her with solving problems.

If you don't feel like doing anything serious, you can just fool around until you come up with an idea or two. Do lots of thumbnail sketches in a sketchbook. Use Word to play with simple geometric shapes that you can color, and maybe insert photos. You don't have to accomplish anything. Just play, like a little kid.

Creative people have special situations and activities that they use for coming up with ideas, like going for a walk or lying on the couch. An artist I know says he gets ideas sweeping the floor.

Expose yourself to images - look through lots of photos with Google Images and the no-copyright image sites, also YouTube. You might want to make a sketch or two of something you see.

Depression

If you could win a prize by hitting a target with an arrow and the arrows were free, what would you say to someone who asked you, "How many arrows do you want?" You wouldn't say, "Which is the best one?" You'd say, "How many can I have?" 

The beauty of self-help is that you have a variety of low-cost, low-risk things that you can combine with the standard treatments and each other. 

I've answered a lot of depression questions, with advice from experts about standard treatments and self-help methods, which can enhance the effects of standard methods. Just click on my name and read if you like

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS - 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...