Should the Oxford Comma Be Used?

For example, are the colors of the U.S. flag red, white, and blue, or are they merely red, white and blue?

• Elaine

In school we were taught to use the Oxford Comma and I still use it today.  There is a simple elegance in red, white, and blue that is lacking in red, white and blue. In addition, by using the Oxford Comma it makes it very clear that red, white, blue are words in a series.

eons ago I was taught the "oxford comma" style / rule. That style keeps all 3 words  separate and distinct.  To my math brain, omitting the comma makes the AND hook the last 2 things together.

• Zirp

It should be used wherever it adds clarity

Source(s): panda eats shoots and leaves
  • Speed

Who's going to be judging the correctness of your punctuation?

While "red, white and blue" is perfectly clear, there may be other phrases in the same paper/story/article/whatever that require the Oxford comma for clarity. You need to consistently use one style or the other, not both within the same work.

I tend to go Oxford every time. I'm a pro writer, and no editor has ever deleted the "unnecessary" comma.

I regard the oxford comma as obsolete.

• I prefer red, white and blue.  Punctuation is best when used only when needed for clarity.  In this case, it reads fine without the superfluous comma.