What are your opinions on 90's Grunge music?

Favorite Answer

I think grunge music was terrific (especially Nirvana and Pearl Jam), but I believe that the mainstream killed grunge music.

The genre was big in Seattle in the late 80s, early 90s before it received international attention, so by 1994, Seattle was kind of sick of grunge. There’s a reason why the grunge albums in ‘91 are probably the most iconic of the grunge era. Even if Kurt didn’t kill himself, I think the genre would’ve died out soon after, and Nirvana probably would’ve gone into alternative rock (if they decided not to break up), as did other bands.

Would love to see a grunge revival in music though.

• Jim

Horrible.  The 80's were just so good, possibly the best decade for rock music. Then the 90's came a nd destroyed it all. So sad..... :(

I thought they were trying to spell GARBAGE, but got even that wrong.  Not as disgusting as (C)rap, Disco or most Country, but only by a slim margin.

• Most of it sadly wasn't that great and if you were around in the 90's you soon got tired of it.  I like NIrvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains but can take or leave the rest.

• RockIt

It was the last good rock genre. Good musicians, good music, good performances, of good songs,  not full of digital machine crap.

Coming up through the Punk and Alternative side of music in the 80's it did little for me. I was already off into Ska and Industrial/EBM by then

• ?

IMHO Grunge is still a major influence in new music today. ONLY the old timers did it best. In my mind it is a west coast thing.

Today many of the more amateur bands have that sound and tempo.

Not really anything I was ever "into".

Why don't cha try Royal Trux if ya like Grunge ?

While I have all their albums, I would suggest "Pound For Pound" as a good album of introduction. There is SO much going on in these tracks and a CRAZY Bass Line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoSn0g5ZlEw

Youtube thumbnail

• Kathy

I do not like it................

I like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and STP and even Nirvana but the whole "Grunge" thing is a stupid marketing ploy.  Most people tend to care more about the fashion and feeling part of a scene than the music itself.  It's the same in every era, people use music as a fashion accessory more than they actually listen to it.  No wonder the musicians themselves get sick of the music business as a whole.

• Random

There was some good stuff.  It was certainly better than a lot of the rock music that was coming out in the late 80's / early 90's.