Projectile: Mental Food - From the point of side of a hill two bodies are projected in the same vertical plane .......?

From the point of side of a hill two bodies are projected in the same vertical plane through the line of greatest slope.with the same velocity; but in directions at right angles to each other. Show that "The difference of their ranges is independent of their angles of projection.

Update:

billrussell42

In a hill, value of slope varies from point to point. We have considered the line of greatest slope. Two bodies are projected in the vertical plane passing through this line with the same velocity but in directions at right angles to each other. All the angles refer to the Horizontal direction.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • NCS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Why did you answer your own question? I spent hours on this.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

please help me on my physics questions 

• 1 month ago

Please show the schematic diagram labeling all of the components.

• 1 month ago

Let the directions of Projection of the Particles be making angles, α₁ and α₂ respectively with the Horizontal Plane. One particle will go up the hill while the other will come downwards. Let their common velocity be u . And the slope of the hill = β

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

as Range of a projectile (R) = u^2sin2θ/g, let the two projectile are θ and θ + 90* with the same initial velocity u,

=>R1 = u^2sinθ/g ------------------(i)

& R2 = u^2sin{2 x (θ + 90*)}/g

=>R2 = u^2sin(180* + 2θ)/g

=>R2 = u^2sin2θ/g ---------------(ii) {as sin (180* + 2θ) = sin2θ}

By (i) & (ii):

=>R1 = R2

• 1 month ago

unclear. what is "line of greatest slope" ?

"at right angles to each other" ? in what plane?

"angles of projection" angle with respect to what?

and other problems...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.