What is a snubbie good for?

Like what purpose is a 38 special snub good for.

Is it good for an apocalyptical event? I was going to say zombie apocalypse.

But truth is without the police it may turn into a free for all anyways. Would a snubbie make a good offensive as well as defensive weapon? Where there is complete chaos and no police and no rules?

My reasons would be because its RELIABLE, NO MAINTENANCE, EASY TO USE, EASY TO CONCEAL, and NO SHELL CASINGS!!

For entertainment purposes only!!!

J-Frame S&W's are great for up close and personal experiences. They are reliable. They do have a legitimate place in your personal collection of carry guns, but....those who claim head shots at 100 yards are overstating the capability of a 2" barrel with rudimentary sights. I own a few airweights, and they are no fun to practice with, however, in a stress fire situation, I doubt I'd feel the recoil. 

Snub nose revolvers are good for personal protection.  That's pretty much where their uses end.  They are small framed short barrel revolvers that shoot the much lighter recoiling 38 special round.  This makes them good for concealed carry, but thats really about it.    

• Mr.357

I would prefer my 6" .357 Mag over a snub nose revolver.  I would take a little more to conceal it, but you get more splatter.

• Megumi

I know a man who has an exceptional old .38 Special Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" with integral hammer shroud. He shot a stone about the size of his head at 100 yards with this little revolver. In a few minutes, a muskrat emerged from a stream about 15 yards past the stone, and he also shot it. He has two pocket handguns. The other is a .380 ACP Walther "PPK" made in Germany. At 10 yards, both of these small handguns will hit the bullseye every time, but at 25 yards, the S&W still hits the bullseye every time, while the Walther spread bullets all over the target. It is obvious which gun he carries most often. Who needs a handgun that is only accurate to 10 to 12 yards when he has one that is accurate to 115 yards? He may carry both of these guns concealed and two larger ones on waist holsters. His most powerful handgun is a .500 Linebaugh Magnum revolver. It kicks about 3 times as much as his pair of .44 Magnum S&W "M-29"s with 6.5" and 8.375" barrels. He also owns S&W .41 Magnum and .357 Magnums. As for larger semi-automatic pistols, he owns a .45 ACP Colt "Government", .45 ACP Heckler & Koch "P9S", 9 mm. Luger "CZ-75, 9 mm. Beretta "92F" and 9 mm. Luger SIG "P226".

good as a back-up second pistol ............................................

Great defense guns. Revolvers do require maintenance just not a lot. They're easy to use but by no means a good 1st gun. If it's a true snubbie it will have a compact grip and those can be difficult to control the gun. And "no shell casings" isn't really a needed feature, unless you're trying to keep them for reloading during the apocalypse. But id be more worried about the clear and present danger than what could happen later down the line.

• Sammy

I shot an elephant with my snubbie. Dropped like a rock. Now I'm looking at 6 angry family members and only have 5 shots left... 

Source(s): The last elephant was small and responded to a good pistol whipping. 2-1/2" M19, 125 gr JSP.
  • Robin

here in UK they are used as humane killer for injured animals

Snubbies are light weight easily concealed and can be fired from inside  jacket pocket.

There was a time when your choice of pistols was small with low power for concealment and large/powerful for outdoors.

Those days are long gone.  If you know little about guns and less about cleaning and maintaining them - the snub nosed revolver makes perfect sense.  It has no parts to get put in backwards after cleaning.  Highly reliable.  Usually affordable.  If you hand load its nice not having to look for your brass in horrible places.

Snubbie has downsides.  You are trusting your life to a 6 shot pistol in a world where everyone else has 13 to 30 rounds.  And when everyone else is finished their initial rounds, they can reload 13-30 more in a few seconds.  Reality is your adversary may not be well trained - relying on firepower to make up for lack of skill. Taking your training serious will help even up the odds.

I have seen many shop keepers, jewelers, EMT's etc start off with a small snubbie thinking it would be the 'be all to end all'.  That snubbie gives them a good reason to visit and hang out at the local shooting range.  Once they see what everyone else is shooting - the snubbie becomes a 'back up gun' as they move to something more modern that holds additional rounds, is lighter, has better sights or night sights and provides increased survival chances.

Thinking you can buy one pistol and it will 'do it all' is juvenile.  You will be hard pressed to keep even a small revolver 'secret' and concealed on hot summer days.  Here a small automatic will conceal much better. There is a reason gun counters have around 90 different makes and models. Its the same reason your local hardware store has 40 different hammers..... right tool for the right job.