max asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

My wife keeps nagging me to get homeowners insurance even though I think it’s a scam, how can I get her to drop this idea?

Favorite Answer

It's not a "scam". Homeowners insurance covers what it covers. Before you buy a policy make sure you read and understand what it is that is covered and to what extent. For example, you don't buy homeowners insurance, your house gets flooded and you think homeowners pays for it, because they don't. If you don't have flood insurance, which is separate from homeowners insurance, then you don't have flood insurance and you'd be paying for the flood damage yourself.

Your choice.  Personally when there are news stories and people have lost everything and didn't have insurance but are asking for donations, I have no sympathy for them and no donation.  You rolled the dice to avoid paying for insurance, you deal with it now.

Homeowner's insurance is no scam. It's necessary in this day and age. It will protect your largest investment--and there is no other way to do that unless you are able to come up with hundreds of thousands of dollars on a moment's notice. 

Homeowner's insurance protects you from more than simply fire. It will also keep you from having to pay if someone slips and falls on your sidewalk because you didn't clean it off. It will replace your roof if a tree branch falls on it. It will protect your home if you leave something flammable in your garage and it catches fire. Why on earth would you think this is a scam?

You pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a home. Why wouldn't you protect it? One litigious neighbor or passer-by can literally wipe out your entire life--do you really want to risk that?  

Divorce her ......

• Tavy

So if your house burns to the ground you have nothing. No home, no possessions, nothing. Your family out on the street with no clothes, no money, nothing.

We ALL have it in the UK, but you Americans know best.

It is not a scam.  Homeowner's insurance covers so many things.  It's just insane not to have it.  Houses in our 10,000 population are burning down all the time - neglect - failure to clean the dryer vent.  The local fire dept. told us this is the no. 1 reason why houses in our community burn down.  I actually witnessed one, 3 or 4 blocks away.  I saw smoke and drove over.  It had already been hosed down by the fire dept. but there was nothing left of it.  It was left to smoke.  Accidents, if someone falls or hurts themselves on your property.  If you are having work done on your house - someone falls off the roof.  Would you prefer to be sued and pay it out of pocket?  If you don't have the money, with the judgment against you, they will foreclose on your house and you will be kicked out on the street.  I know someone who burned her own house down, actually most of it.  They saved one small end of her house - rebuilt the whole house for her and added a full room when she asked if they could do that.  She was treated very well, and the house was burned down by her negligence.  Also, electrical problems do occur.  Electrical wires do weird things on their own, when houses aren't all that old.  And if your house catches fire and spreads to a neighbor's house - pray that their house is empty at the time (no deaths).  Still, you will have to pay to rebuild their house.  There are far too many risks to not be insured.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

maybe you can check them out with the better business bureau

It's not a scam.  She's right.  Get insurance.

I don't have it. I can acccept the risk.  I would not like it, but it would not ruin me if my house was hit by a tornado. And dozens were less than a mile way 7-8 years ago. Similarly I don't carry full coverage on my car. $7000 car, $90-100k house.

Its not a scam but I can afford to take the risk and I think its worth doing it. In 17 years, Ive saved probably $10-11k versus homeowners insurance.

• .

Do you have a mortgage?