Why doesn't Al Bundy just buy himself food, instead of hoping his lazy worthless wife will buy or cook him something?

I don't get it. He constantly comes home hungry, and begs Peggy to cook him or buy him something. She often lies to him that she will buy him food, and then uses the money to buy herself some dress or something. Why doesn't Al just buy himself food with his own money instead of always hoping Peg, which he knows is always lying and worthless, will either buy him food or cook him food? Why can't he just buy himself a burger or something on the way home?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Several reasons.  But I think most importantly you're missing that the show is commentary on the 'perfect sitcom family' that tended to proliferate before Simpsons, MwC and Rosanne.  Peg is deliberately the opposite of the sitcom mom.  It's funnier for Al to come home and verbally spar with her.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I never thought about it before, but it's two things: 1) The joke is Al makes so little that he can't even afford food, and 2) Peggy is so worthless as a wife that she refuses to cook.

• Andy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

He's a shoe salesman, and doesn't earn enough money to do that. 

• 1 month ago

Perhaps he couldn't afford to buy himself a burger on the way home, as his hard earned cash was given to Peg to manage the household. Hence he'd constantly beg her to provide food.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Al Bundy saves his money for strip clubs.

• 1 month ago

Because he works all day and she just sits home and watches Oprah!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.