What emotions does one experience , prior to death?

Hours , minutes and seconds leading up to one's own death , what emotions does he or she have ?

Can there be anger ?

Can there be happiness?

Or is it always fear ?

Depending on the manner of one's death , I am sure the brain does not always have time to process emotions. For example , an accident resulting in instantaneous death , allows us no time to think.

But if a cancer patient for example is given only 6 weeks to live - Is that person very fearful right up until taking their last breath?

If a depressed  suicidal person swallows a bottle of pills or cuts their wrist . Are they happy and at peace with their decision? Or do they later become afraid and seek medical help?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a group of scientists from across faiths who have gathered their data and resources to study this most important of subjects.  We can all agree life is short and what happens next is not.  This means any study of life is like the study of a microbe compared to the universe of what happens next.

People who come back to tell about their brushes with death have common themes.  The bright light,  the sudden sense of being outside of their bodies.  These accounts are quite common.

One of the most common themes is losing control of your emotions.  When you are taught how to survive in panic situations,  remaining calm is always at the top of the list.  People who lose their cool die while people who take a breath and relax live.  So in cases of death coming suddenly, panic is the most common emotion.

As for people with known impending fates?  Most keep hope all the way to the end.  Despair creeps in and takes over at times,  but there is a hope they will live.  It is a roller coaster of emotions for most people.  Very high highs and very low lows.

Each time I give Last Rites to a dying soul it has changed me as a person.  I have seen the purity of God's love as explained in James 1:27.  How the wise men of the East waited 400 years for the Star of Bethlehem to rise like Daniel the prophet had foretold.  They waited...  and waited more...  and watched...  and then...  That star appeared on the horizon and they knew Messiah was born of a virgin.  They gathered their gifts and made their way to His manger.

That's how I see people who find God late in life.  Like people looking to the sky for a sign and finally seeing it.  Many people wait until very late to keep their eyes on the horizon.  But when it happens,  it is like a blinding holy light. One of God's most merciful acts is the resurrection of the dead.  Eternal life.

Good question. I liked how you framed it.

Source(s): The Bible nderf.org
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

One thing that the Scriptures tell us is that death is an enemy - 1 Corinthians 15:26 - And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.  - - - -  Did you notice that it says that death is to be "brought to nothing"?  That is telling us that death is going to be done away with.  Now, Jesus tells us that God's word is the truth - John 17:17 - Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.  - - - -  Many that have considered what the Scriptures teach about death and the resurrection have found great comfort.  Both when they have to face death, and when a loved one dies.  Notice this hope given from God's word of truth - Acts 24:15 - And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.  - - - -  One thing to realize about this Scripture is this, it does not mention a resurrection for the wicked.  But the Scripture says that the "unrighteous" will be resurrected.  Who are these "unrighteous"?  It is the millions that have died but did not have the opportunity, or the circumstances that would allow them to learn about God and his requirements for life.  Actually, God's word tells us that he wants everyone to have an accurate knowledge of truth, and that knowledge could lead to them being saved - 1 Timothy 2:4 – whose (God’s) will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.  - - - -  So this gives us a powerful hope.  Even the hope that our dead loved ones will get the opportunity to learn about God and take in the accurate knowledge that leads to being saved.  Jesus' words here indicate the importance of coming to know him and his Father - John 17:3 - This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.  - - - -  The Scriptures even tell us that Jesus provides a ransom to buy back the perfect life that Adam lost - Matthew 20:28 - Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many.”  - - - -  That is what these 2 following Scriptures show us.  How Adam brought sin and death to mankind, and how Jesus ransom sacrifice buys back that opportunity - Romans 5:12 - That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned —.  - - - -  Now, the value of Jesus' sacrifice - Romans 5:19 - For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one person many will be made righteous. - - - -  Isn't that in harmony with one of the most quoted Scriptures from the Bible - John 3:16 - “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. - - - -  So, what does exercising faith mean?  Note this next Scripture - John 3:36 - The one who exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; the one who disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.  - - - -  That Scripture contrasts exercising faith with disobedience.  So, exercising faith simply entails taking in an accurate knowledge of truth (what God requires for everlasting life) and then applying that knowledge in our lives.  - - - -  With the foregoing in mind, I invite everyone to visit the following web site where free Bible lessons (knowledge) are offered online.  But you will always want to follow this advice to make sure you are getting the truth - Acts 17:11 . . . carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.  - - - -  You can carefully examine the Scriptures with free Bible lessons here - 

www.jw.org

• 8 months ago

That depends on the person and mode of death.

• 8 months ago

The real emotions are after death, "Where all is peace and joy and love and the soul of man never dies.", John 11.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Ask a dead person.

• Whatever it is, physical death has no emotions, it has sadness to leave this earth!

The most important thing is to be in God's grace, the person will rise and be in God's kingdom! Otherwise, the one who dies with his sins will go to hell.

• 8 months ago

They're likely to go through a five-stage grieving process involving denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance, if they have long enough to do that.  However, death can sometimes be sudden, as you say, or involve slipping into a coma after dementia.  This would not involve those stages.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

If they pass out, nothing (unless they are dreaming).  If they are awake, they might feel pain or a sense of impending death.  They worry about how their loved ones will get along without them, and they feel horrible about leaving people behind, and worry that they will worry about not having them around.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

It depends a lot on whether a person has assurance of their eternal salvation. The truth is that death leads to heaven or hell, and the only way to heaven is through faith in Jesus Christ.

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• 8 months ago

My father's mother was screaming at the time of her death. My mother used to refer to her as "the vicious old lady" with good reason. Perhaps there is something to her screaming. Grandma did not know Jesus as her Savior. My mother, just two weeks after she received Jesus as her Lord and Savior, while laying in the hospital bed, raised her arms and gazed into the room's ceiling, apparently looking at something that was drawing her. She passed peacefully, blissfully.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.