Kiki asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

How can I teach my sibling to read?

I have a younger sister who recently finished 3rd grade and will enter 4th grade. However, she still struggles to read and write at a level similar to other kids her age. My parents can't really help because English is not their first language, and my sister's school does not seem to have any teachers or programs that can help her. What are some ways that I can teach her, and what are some free or low cost resources I can use?

• Lili

Some of the suggestions here are good ones, but you need to consider the possibility that your sister has a learning disability.  I suggest that you, with your parents, talk to her next teacher about this.  She may need to be evaluated, and the teacher should be able to tell you how to arrange this.

That said, people are more likely to read well if they grow up in homes filled with books, magazines, and newspapers, and if they are exposed at home to conversations about abstract ideas, current events, and so forth.  Even if your parents converse about these things in their own language, that's important. They need to spark her curiosity and interest.  YOUR job, then, is to provide as many books as possible (from the library, if necessary), plus other reading materials  Read with her but also let her SEE you reading. Exposure to the idea that people read for pleasure and interest is hugely important.

You can read a funny book with her and talk about it. Take turns reading out loud. Let her write a short response. Say nice things 

Read easy books with big letters to her and move your finger from word to word as you read. Also practicing printing the alphabet letters, then short words will increase her skills.

The fist and foremost ways to make her mind studious is to make attempts to get into her Psyche to know her mind well.Thereafter, I think, she should be offered text and other books  magazines, newspapers to go through.Step by step she will be anxious enough to be a serious student.There is no easy way to transform her mind to studies since academic life is combination of different factors.

Could you find another toddler her age that would help (?)

Reading is a skill, and like any skill, it improves with practice. Take her to the library and pick out books she's interested in. Make it not too stressful, by reading to her at first, and then letting her read a page or a paragraph to you. After you've read a book with her, encourage her to look through the book on her own, where she's reading silently and no one is judging her. 

• A

The best thing is to read with her, find a book she really likes and read together, alternating paragraphs, help her with words she has trouble with,  tell her how well she is doing.  Finding a book series would be the best thing as it would encourage her to work on reading on her own, but you would be a wonderful older sibling to read with her.   Writing will improve as her reading does, but you could also work with her to write a story based on her favorite book characters.  Old favorites for my kids were Amelia Bedilea,  The babysitter series,  etc  Low cost options would be library or even books online