Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 months ago

Can I fly to another state (Ohio) without a driver's license or State ID of any kind, but only a valid passport?

And if so, when I arrive in Ohio, can I acquire an Ohio State ID just using my Passport and SSN card? Even though I don't have State ID for the state I just came from?

Favorite Answer

Yes and yes.

Even after Real ID goes into effect this October and ordinary state driver's licenses will not be good enough to fly, a valid US passport will still get you on a plane for a domestic flight.  Once you are in Ohio, you can apply for an Ohio ID or an Ohio driver's license, but you can't have both.

See this to see what you need to get that Ohio ID.  You have the passport and SS CARD - you must show the card - but you will need two documents showing your current Ohio address.

https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv2424.pdf

Yes, you can fly anywhere in the U.S. with a U.S. Passport. The states also have to accept passports as a form of ID because a passport is a federal document.

• Foofa

Your valid passport is the gold standard for ID and it can be used for domestic flight. 

Your current passport is acceptable.  You should get an ID from your home state, however.

A passport is ID...

A state ID requires 2 other forms of ID..   Birth certificate, SS card, military ID, passport are all examples of ID...

You may need proof of residency (however I dont recall needing to show proof of such when I got my ID here in Ohio)

Yes, a passport is ID.  You can get an Ohio ID if you can show residency in Ohio, look up what they require.