Anonymous

Why did my mom hide the fact that I have disabilities for 16 years?

I have recently discovered that I have a few things wrong with me and my mother supposedly knew but never told me any of these things , is this a common thing to happen or was she just embarrassed to have a child like me

Perhaps your Mom thought it better to let you make your own way without the burden of "wrong with." Doubtful she is embarrassed of you. She sounds quite wise to me.

• mom

this is a question that you should talk to your mother about. 

She probably thought she was protecting you by not telling you. She probably believed that you would be upset and feel different to others when she wanted you to fit in and feel like everyone else. 

• Ann

There are parents who have been led to believe they are failures as parents if they have a disabled child.  When I was a Sp. Ed. teacher, I would have parents tell me that  their parents (the disabled child's grandparents) were ashamed of their grandchild and they placed blame on the child's parents and in some extreme cases, they would refuse to accept the grandchild as a family member.  There are also parents who themselves are ashamed of having a disabled child, and they attempt to deny the disability by pretending it doesn't exist, or else they blame the child's school or others for the child's failures.  

I mean.... if you hadn't even noticed them for 16 years, then they can't be that severe, can they?

• I was born with a disability. Pictures of me as a baby never showed my body below the waist. My parents told me I was lazy, clumsy, and didn't pay attention. I was pigeon-toed and they told me it was my fault, I could control it.  My nickname was Calamity Jane. I used to fall a lot and I never understood why. When I was in my late twenties and was wanting to get pregnant I discovered I had a hip deformity that I was born with. My parents NEVER told me about it and we never spoke of it. My father died when I was a child, my mom died 5 years ago.