Going to university in Spain?

I've been looking into going to university in Spain, as I want to become fluent in Spanish, and I think this would be the best way to do it, I'm 17 and in Sixth Form at the moment. Does anyone have any experience with this? That is moving from the UK to Spain, and actually studying a full degree for 4 years at a Spanish university (not just spending a year there). I wish to study either Law or Criminology. I have heard from some people that studying a Spanish degree in the UK may be more sensible but living in Spain is something I'd like to do, as well as the fact that spending money to study Spanish at university seems pointless when I could learn the language alongside another degree in Spain. 

I should also mention that I'm not a beginner in Spanish, I'm around a B1/B2 if that means anything to anyone.

Any advice on the best universities or just hearing experiences would be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    Doing a degree in Spain is a great idea but chose your subject with care.  If your Spanish is now B1/B2, go for a science not an arts subject.  Your Spanish will rapidly improve but to get to the level where you are fluent enough to express yourself clearly on paper will take you at least a year. 

    I would also suggest you stay away from a vocational subject like Law.  That degree will not be applicable back in the UK as we use Common Law not Civil.  To work as an Abogado in Spain you will need both an undergraduate degree and a Master's in Laws.  

    Stay away from Criminology no matter where you go, it is a vanity degree that has no useful applications in the real world.  Not sure why it is so popular; you can get into the police or prison service with it but that is about it. 

    For the best universities just Google the rankings.  Private universities are expensive.  You may not be able to get a student loan depending on our post Brexit relationship with Spain.

  • 2 months ago

    You must be fluent in Spanish to apply for admission to universities in Spain & other Spanish speaking countries. Expect to need minimum C1, maybe C2, for university level studies, so you're not there yet. You might qualify for intensive Spanish language training programs. That could bring you the rest of the way up from B2 to C1 within 4-6 months, B1 to C1 in 6-12 months to apply for admission to university.

    Since you will only work in your country of citizenship, neither law nor criminology are suitable for studying abroad. IF you are UK citizen, you must study law in UK, pass UK bar exams, etc. Go to Spain to study things Spain would be best - or only excellent resource - in, such as Spanish language & literature, Spanish art history, etc. Or more general subjects for a more general or broadly based bachelor's degree.

  • 2 months ago

    If you want to study at a Spanish university, which mostly teach in Spanish (aka the language of the country), you'll need to be already completely fluent in Spanish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.