Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 1 month ago

When did "Star Trek" truly begin for you - "TOS" or "TNG"?

For me "TNG" - I don't even recognize "TOS" as being the same. IT was racist bullshit and I think William Shatner comes off as an asshole too.

"TNG" was as blacks would say "gangsta."

"TOS" was lame racist bullshit.

I'm Latin plus Picard was Latin so he wins.

Shatner was an asshole.

It's like saying "TOS" is "Friends""TNG" was "Seinfeld" - more popular and cooler. And funnier too

Gene Roddenberry was a white liberal asshole who thought whites were superior to Latins, blacks, etc.

Neither do I count the movies as true "Star Trek" neither. The first true "Star Trek" movie for me was "Generations."

Favorite Answer

I just enjoy watching Star Trek generally speaking. I grew up watching (reruns of) the original series mainly because my mother put it on, every Thursday ( still can't abide peanut brittle 😂) but I dodnt get into it seriously until next gen ( omg Patrick Stewart seriously sexy 😍😍!!) 

My God? This political intolerance of today has now spread to the "Federation"? What's the next target, reruns of Lassie? 

Do you even have any clue what racism even means? There were ACTUAL racist TV outlets that wouldn't show TOS because a Black woman (Uhura) was there in a key role and they demanded she be removed before they would broadcast it. Roddenberry said screw you to them. Martin Luther King Jr. himself told Nichelle Nichols how important she was to breaking down racism. You also had portrayals by Chinese (Sulu), Russian (Chekov) characters. All this when White good-guy characters ruled the day elsewhere on TV and movies. TOS was ALL ABOUT showing what a culturally harmonious future could look like as well as what our culture should strive for.

The show did nothing BUT attack social issues of the day, including segregation, bigotry and racism! I think TOS had the first interracial kiss on TV (Kirk & Uhura).

You don't know what the Hell you are talking about as far as the show being "racist"!

I lived in the between time and say both. While Shatner does "overact" this was Roddenberry's dream. Indeed, at the time he was far ahead of the times, so to call him a racist is like calling Sir Issac Newton an intellectual dolt because he didn't understand quantum mechanics. I heard a story that he wanted to have the first "number 1" (second in command) be a woman as he did in the pilot, but the network executives were already giving him a hard time about a black woman on the bridge crew and a woman in a command role was beyond the pale! So he made the second in command an alien (Spock) as a passive-aggressive middle finger response. Roddenberry was lucky at the beginning because Desi Arnaz was about the only one in Hollywood willing to produce the show in its early stages before DesiLu was dissolved. 

There is another story that Roddenberry wanted to do an episode where a major religious figure (who shall remain unnamed) was really an alien who came to Earth in the past. It was said that was the beginning of the end for TOS and Roddenberry that time. He was happy when he was able to do TNG years later, but died before its final episodes. 

I watched TOS when it was originally on but really got into it watching reruns during the 70s.

It was not racist and you're wrong about Roddenberry.

It's you who is the asshole

It's you who is the asshole

Your asshole question is reported,

dikhed

TOS, because it was all there was at the time.  So, 1966.  TNG is better, Discovery and all of that is just awful.

i grew up on TOS, never could get into TNG.

TOS was superior to TNG in every way except fx and cinematography.

How was TOS racist?  It was PIONEERING against racism.  The first interracial kiss on TV was on TOS.  There were multiple episodes where the story was a thinly veiled criticism of racism.  It did this in a time when holding such opinions was risky and avante garde...as opposed to TNG which came along when most of it's 'messages' were decades out of date.

TOS was so NOT racist that when Nichelle Nichols, the actress who played Uhura, met Martin Luther King, he expressed that he was a fan.  She told him she was planning to quit and he said 'You MUST not do this!' and promptly explained that she was basically the only black person on television portrayed in a non racist and non subservient role.  She was portrayed as a competent part of a military command hierarchy.  A position of responsibility.  In no way a stereotype.  MLK talked her out of quitting.

Picard wasn't latin.  He was French.

Shatner was/is an a s s h o l e.  That's pretty much documented fact.

• Mark

I saw the reruns of ST: TOS LONG before ST: TNG even existed.  My parents weren't geeks, but it was ALWAYS on TV on Saturday, and we watched it.  I like TNG, but was sort of left cold by "Deep Throat Nine", and liked "Enterprise".

Wellm actually, Gene was NOT a racist, and even non-white people said that without prodding.  Do you REALLY think he was a racist, hiring VERY SPECIFICALLY non-white actors to populate his screen?

• Jesere

The Premier of Star Trek in 1966 , my dad made all of us kids watch the show he said "sit down you're watching History being Made". I like Voyager,  TNG,