Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 2 months ago

Realistically couldn't an aircraft be controlled via remote at the airport instead of by a pilot in the cockpit?

It's already possible, the military already fly drones from a long way away.  However, most people (me included) would rather know there are two pilots up front who have a vested interest in arriving safely.  They, after all, are going to be first at the scene of any accident!

If that was possible every terrorist and wannabe terrorist and hacker would be down at their local aircraft landing field with their Toys Were Us remote controller bringing down the Big Metal Birds!

which one are you of the 7 that want to come in and land?  You ain't the only bird in the sky.

In most cases yes.   But have you noticed how your satellite Dish or Direct TV or Hughes New internet go out when there is a big thunderstorm over head?   How would you like that to happen to a plane?   

You seem to lack any common sense.

• Piero

I've been in the aviation industry for a long time. I have developed a dislike and distrust of pilots. Their egos are responsible for most aviation incidents and accidents.  I would be more comfortable in an airplane being piloted by a competent technician at a console somewhere, than one with a human pilot. The technology exists. ALPA is the only real problem keeping this from becoming a reality.

Depends on what the aircraft is carrying.  The military runs surveillance drones remotely from a long way away.  Some have weapons to attack an enemy.  This is now common among the advanced air forces (USA, now China, possibly Russia, perhaps Great Britain--not sure, someday some European air forces, like France, Germany, others).  The US Navy lands large jet drones on aircraft carriers, and drone helicopters on smaller ships.  Army in the field uses small radio spotter drones to go into difficult places ahead of soldiers.

This was first developed by the Nazi scientists to direct ship attack flying bombs with television and remote control from a chase plane. Wire connection was used.  US Army Air Force used B-17s and other old airplanes to crash and explode on hard targets.  A chase plane used radio remote control to guide on target.  In the early 1950s remote control aircraft were used to test anti-aircraft missiles. 

For many years, jet drones have been piloted for air to air combat training.

An experiment in 1980s to crash a jetliner in the desert used remote control and TV to pilot into obstacles.  This showed the effect of fire and tried to limit fuel flammability.

While technically barely an aircraft, a wire linked remote control missile was fired from a bunker or a tank at a short range land target.  That was beginning in the 1960s.

Probably commercial passenger aircraft controlled from an airport would have a hard time getting enough customers.  I like the robot pilot joke that ended "Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong..."

• F

Possibly but personally ( and I think 99.9% will agree), I’d rather the pilot had the incentive to get himself there alive.

Might work as a back up.  I would rather have a pilot in the cabin.  

Toy aircraft are controlled by remote, real aircraft are controlled by a pilot. If you tried to control a real aircraft by remote you might crash a very expensive piece of equipment.