Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 2 months ago

I'm wanting to reduce the electric bill by setting up some wind turbines and eventually solar panels, but no idea how it works? ?

My electric bill is around $200/m and I want to reduce or end it, but again, no idea how it works. Short term, I want to put up some small wind turbines, but how would that reduce my bill? Right now, everything is through Ohio Energy. I know the turbine collects energy, but how would my house know to use the collected energy first, and know how to use Ohio Energy when it's empty? Or am I just thinking too hard and can only choose 1 or the other? 

Favorite Answer

Hey H, first I want to warn you against getting renewable energy info on open forums like this.  It always amazes me how many people love to chime in with their expertise, who have never laid a hand on a solar panel, wind turbine or inverter.

Two other things to consider as well.  If you are already paying a $200 monthly electric bill, I'm guessing your usage is probably over 1000 kilowatthours (KWH) per month.  That's an enormous amount of electricity for one home to use.  Are you in the South and running AC most the day?  If not your real problem is usage.  We've been running our place on wind and solar power for 18 years.  I'l cut to the chase and say you won't save any real money putting up turbines or solar arrays. Our home used to have a $45 monthly bill. Then we spent around $11,000 on solar panels, controllers, inverters and a turbine and tower.  Today our usage is less than $5 per month.  You could work out the math and figure it might take us 18 years to break even.  You could also put $11,000 in a long term bond fund and simply pay the electric bill out of the interest, then at the end of 18 years you would still have the original $11,000 instead of a bunch of worn out solar stuff.  If you really want to save money, work on the amount of power you use.  LED light bulbs, a 40 watt light bulb produces 450 lumens.  A 6 watt LED light bulb produces 460 lumens.  One uses 7 times more power than the other, and costs 7 times as much to run.  Also, a 40 watt bulb produces 130 BTU's of heat.  If you run AC, the AC unit has to burn another 40 watts to remove that heat from the house.  Do you have an old refrigerator running in the garage or mud room?  They cost around $25 a month to run.  I could go on, but there are so many ways to reduce power usage without sitting the dark, look on line.

The other thing is wind power is not complicated, but it's more than just putting up a turbine.  If you have no idea what you're doing, hire someone who does.  Or at least get to an energy fair, bring your power bill, and start asking questions.  There are lots of them around, I'll put a link below to the Midwest Renewable Energy Association, great place to start, and check out past issues of Home Power Magazine, it's free, and the people who write it know way more than anyone on Yahoo Answers.  If your car needed brakes, it's really much cheaper to replace them yourself, maybe save you a few hundred dollars, but most people hire a mechanic.  Putting up some towers and wind turbines without knowing what you're doing is about the same thing.

Honestly, having done both wind and solar, solar is much simpler.  Either way you would need an inverter that synchronizes with the grid.  Once you have that running, the house will use power from wherever it comes from, but the inverter will push out whatever is available from your solar array, or wind turbine into the homes wiring system, the home will use that first because it has no choice. A grid tie inverter makes this a snap.  You also have to decide if you just want to cut down on your grid power usage, or have backup power too. That requires a more sophisticated inverter, like the Xantrex SW-4024 as an example, a 4000 watt sine wave battery operated synchronous inverter, they cost around $2300.  Batteries might be another $800, you need batteries for backup power, inverters need either an incoming sine wave, or a battery to operate, charge controller $250, and panels cost about $1.25 per watt.  So it isn't cheap, but solar is basically maintenance free, not like wind. Check out the sources below, and if you can make it to an energy fair, you'll not only get well educated in one day, but you'll meet lots of people that do this work first hand. Take care, Rudydoo

Source(s): homepower.com Midwestrenew.org AWEA.ORG
  • Koi

Buy a Wattbike and cycle to make some electricity