Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 2 months ago

Does tanning make your face better looking?

• Lili

It results in leathery-looking skin and wrinkles.

It might be OK in your teen years, but by the time you hit your 20s, the results will be starting to show.  I have a friend who grew up literally on a beach in California. She and her siblings were out in the sun ALL the time.  In her late 20s, she had the skin of a woman in her late 40s.

And of course it's unhealthy.  If you have a tan, it means your skin has been damaged. That's what a tan represents: damage.  Undamaged skin is pale.

It depends upon what you feel is "better looking". But the alleged improvement comes with a price: tanning ages your skin prematurely. You may not notice changes right away, but over time, you could end up looking like a turkey's neck. You also increase the risks of contracting skin cancer, which can be lethal. Stay away from tanning , use sunscreen, you'll live longer and healthier and look better as you grow older. 

• Dave

Tanning is unhealthy.  Yes, you need sunlight; but some people overdo it, to the point of frying themselves.

I look nicer with a bit of a tan. Most people do. Natural suntan, not that tanning bed fake look.

It's not really a smart thing to do.

It doesn’t make my face better looking, unless maybe I get just a small lightly toasted effect. Whether you suit a tan or not largely depends on your physical genetics. Some people look very muddy with darker skin, some people absolutely glow with pale skin. You have to take into account your skin undertone, eye color, hair color, etc

It's the current standard of beauty - - - - just as being "stout" was a sign of prosperity in the past.  Most people get over tanning after their first cancer diagnosis.  And, of course, ladies of the 17 & 18 hundreds applied whitener to their complexions to be as pale as possible which was the standard then  (it was a sign that you were wealthy enough to not have to be working outdoors).

• Robert

Yes but after 40 summers it turns you into leather

In the long run, no. In the short run, yes, at least for me. I have light green/aquamarine eyes and fair skin. When my face has a suntan, my eyes pop so much they shine like headlights. You don't really notice them so much when I'm not tan, though, because they just seem to wash out with my face.

For most people, yes.