Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 2 months ago

Why do Americans think British people have bad teeth?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Coz they drink too much tea, of course

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Probably for the same reason as why British people think Americans have bad odour problems.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Do they, that's a new one to me. I have been to America about 15 times, and never yet has anyone commented about my teeth. I think that you are trying to stereotype the Americans

• 2 months ago

Dental heath in the UK is much better than in the USA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What does this have to do with travel?

• 2 months ago

Cosmetic dentistry is far, far commoner in the USA than in the UK. In the UK we are generally content to have teeth-coloured teeth - not gleaming snowy white, which is clearly unnatural, but ivory, perhaps with a tendency towards yellow.

That is only the colour. Our teeth are generally as healthy as anyone else's.

• 2 months ago

It is a stereotype from World War 1 (and WW2 to a lesser extent) when British people used lots of sugar (such as in tea) but fluoride and other tooth decay preventatives weren't being used. The American soldiers deployed to Europe consumed less sugar so had fewer dental problems. 

Fluoride was discovered to protect teeth from decay in the 1920s but wasn't widely used until after WW2. Also, while toothbrushes were invented in the late 1700s modern toothbrushes weren't developed until the 1930s.  Modern toothpaste wasn't invented until around WW1 and modern dental floss wasn't available until after WW2.   

• Connor
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Then they have obviously never been to the UK 

• 2 months ago

Nahhhh really?  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

gHett The London Look .. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.